Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I sell my iPhone 3GS, do I need to leave the old sim card in it

I'm sure I read somewhere about selling an iPhone, and having to sell it with the sim card that has always been used with it. I can't remember the reason for this, but I wondered if this is true?

The reason I ask is. When the iPhone 4 comes out, I will be getting one. I know the iPhone 4 will use the micro sim card, so I won't have any use for the sim card that is presently installed in my 3GS. So do I need to leave the sim card in the 3GS, for when I sell the 3GS on to the new user?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Windows Vista, iPhone 3GS 16 GB

Posted on Jun 13, 2010 3:05 PM

19 replies

Jun 13, 2010 4:16 PM in response to tal1971

Think about it for a second. Your sim card IS YOU - it identifies who is being charged for what calls. IF you leave it in, what do you think will happen?

Now, if you plan on going to get another phone immediately -they will provide you a new sim card and the old one will then be deactivated. Any of this making sense or do I need a drawing board?

Sell your phone with or without the SIM card - nobody you sell the phone to will be able to activate a used sim card, they will always get a new one.

Now, for those that dont quite understand what I just said or have trouble reading:

NO - DONT LEAVE IT IN

Jun 13, 2010 6:11 PM in response to synnerg

NO - DONT LEAVE IT IN

Completely wrong. Once the number has been moved to another SIM, it (the number) will not work on the old one. But the phone still needs to have the deactivated SIM in it, to do anything. It will still be usable over Wifi, iPod, etc. But only if it contains a SIM. There will be no problem activating a new number on the old SIM.

Jun 13, 2010 6:56 PM in response to DCGOO

DCGOO wrote:

Once the number has been moved to another SIM, it (the number) will not work on the old one.

Thanks for agreeing with me?

DCGOO wrote:
But the phone still needs to have the deactivated SIM in it, to do anything. It will still be usable over Wifi, iPod, etc. But only if it contains a SIM.

How is this YOUR responsibility if you are selling the phone?

DCGOO wrote:
There will be no problem activating a new number on the old SIM.

It is almost certain that AT&T will want to provide an updated SIM during a new line activation as the OP's description implies it will be used for phone service.
It is also likely that the purchasers of the device already has a line and his own SIM - so your point ends up being moot.

Jun 13, 2010 8:46 PM in response to DCGOO

DCGOO wrote:
But the phone still needs to have the deactivated SIM in it, to do anything. It will still be usable over Wifi, iPod, etc. But only if it contains a SIM.

So tell me that when I take out my SIM and start browsing on WiFi, listening to music, playing games, and taking pics that my iPhone is not working and in fact shouldn't be doing any of those tasks?

A SIM is not needed for the iPhone to operate it just wont be able to use a cellular connection.

Jun 13, 2010 11:44 PM in response to tal1971

Thanks for all the help everyone, its much appreciated 😮

Just to add some more info.

I will be using my present iPhone (3GS) right up until I get the iPhone 4. Once I have the iPhone 4 and have made sure that it works OK. I will be then putting the 3GS on Ebay.

So when I get my iPhone 4 (from my local O2 store). When I sign my new contract, I will get a micro sim and my number will then be transferred over onto the new micro sim card. After this, my old sim card will be deactivated. So if this is the case the old sim card will not be of any use.

I expect the buyer of my 3GS, would probably have their own sim card (possibly one they have been using in another phone) and may prefer to use their own has they would have the same telephone number has they have been using.

Even if they don't have a sim card. Like someone mentioned on here, its not my responsibility, its the responsibility of the new user to ensure they have a sim card.

I just thought I had read that, the sim card needed to be sold with the iPhone for some reason or other. I must have misread or misinterpreted the information I read.

Thanks again for all the help, its appreciated.

When I sell my iPhone 3GS, do I need to leave the old sim card in it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.