Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disappointment with iBooks 1.1 PDF support

Unless I'm missing something…

The only way to get a PDF into iBooks 1.1 for it to be an attachment in Mail. You have to download the attachment, QuickLook it, then click the "Open in…" button near the top. If you have a collection of PDFs you want on your iPad, you have to email them to yourself to get them on it.

But wait, there's more. If your PDF is "too large," you cannot open it in Mail. How large is too large? I'm not sure of the cutoff, but a couple of 21 MB magazines would not open for me.

There does not seem to be a way to open a PDF in Safari and put it in iBooks like there is with Mail.

I have been using forScore to read PDFs, and they have the ability to sync PDFs under the Apps tab in iTunes. That would have been a nice feature for iBooks.

If anyone has figured out a better way to get PDFs into iBooks, please share it.

MacBook Pro 15", iMac G5 20", MacBook Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPad, iPod touch

Posted on Jun 21, 2010 1:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2010 1:59 PM

If anyone has figured out a better way to get PDFs into iBooks, please share it.

Why not simply use the content management application (i.e., iTunes). Just "Drag 'n Drop" all your PDFs directly to iTunes all at once and then sync them to iBooks in a single "sync" operation?

User uploaded file
46 replies

Jun 21, 2010 2:25 PM in response to TwoCoke

Why not simply have "save in ibooks" as an option in Safari when the source is a pdf?

To each his or her own. I prefer as centralized application for the management of the database, storage, metadata, cover art, etc. If you prefer to moved the data directly to iBooks and then sync iBooks to iTunes to make such modifications and then re-sync the changes back to iBooks then that is, of course, your choice.

User uploaded file

Jun 21, 2010 2:44 PM in response to Joe Muscara

Um, because sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious to those like me who are thinking too much?

Sorry. I tend to assume everyone uses applications like Calibre or iTunes for centralized management of content rather than using multiple applications having parallel operations which often require multiple steps to accomplish the same ends. Use whatever approach best suits your work flow or with which you are most comfortable. I'm simply lazy and prefer doing everything in one place.

Yes, this is how you get your PDFs into iBooks. Thanks!

I make my own content (what I refer to as "self publishing") from free public domain content available on the internet which I would probably never buy on my own if I had to pay for it. So for me, it was quite natural to simply adapt my current ePUB making work flow include the new PDF capabilities now included in both Itunes and iBooks.

However, being able to get the PDFs from Safari would be a nice feature, hopefully a future version.

You can always request it be added as a future Safari enhancement (i.e. use the feedback form). If enough people request it, it will likely be included in a future update of the mobile Safari app.

User uploaded file

Jun 21, 2010 4:11 PM in response to lileoj

I couldn't figure out how To get PDFs to iBooks until I after read all of your posts. I opened iTunes, went to my desktop where I had my PDFs, highlighted and dragged them into the books area of iTunes - THEN I connected the iPad and everything synced just fine. Thanks for all the ideas, I was really getting p....d until I tried the suggestions here.

Jun 21, 2010 6:14 PM in response to Siobhan Ellis

I'm a bit disappointed in this as well. I would really like a way to download PDF's in Safari, into iBooks, directly on the iPad.

And based on this document from Apple, ( http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4227) it sure seems as if it would be possible.

Quoting:
"With iBooks 1.1 and iTunes 9.2 or later, you have the ability to view and sync PDFs right to your device. You can even view PDF e-mail attachments or PDFs from Safari, all within iBooks."

Notice it say Safari right in there. But in the "how to section" of the doc, it doesn't ever explain how to do it.

Doesn't seem possible at this point.

Disappointment with iBooks 1.1 PDF support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.