Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4 Camera Lens Won't Open

I tried resetting the phone and restoring the phone with iTunes. Nothing seems to work... I can access the photo gallery from the camera app, but the lens just won't open.

Any suggestions?

Iphone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Jun 23, 2010 6:39 PM

13 replies

Jun 27, 2010 11:08 PM in response to MSFTHATER

I took my wife's 16gb iPhone 4 to the Genius Bar today and the Apple Genius fixed this camera issue. All he did was fully reset and wipe out the phone. The camera worked after that. He instructed us to NOT sync from the old backup of the phone, but to sync it as a NEW phone. We were still able to load all the apps, contacts, and other stuff in it later. I'm glad he was able to fix this issue without replacing the phone. But just in case, when I called in to make the appointment, I did ask ahead of time if that specific Apple store had replacement iPhones available to swap if they couldn't fix the issue.

Jul 14, 2010 7:08 AM in response to MSFTHATER

I had the same problem with my Iphone the first day that I got it. The front camera lens would open fine, but the back camera was stuck with the lens closed. I set up an appointment at the Genius Bar and the phone was then tested and restored and still came up with the same issue. The tech said that the restore that he did also included the firmware also that was restored onto the phone. After all of this he then went into the back and came out with a lil black box that had a replacement Iphone in it. The replacement was made and I walked out of the store a happy customer and havent had a problem with my Iphone since.

Jul 27, 2010 3:54 PM in response to MSFTHATER

Same problem, and in addition, sometimes when I am in camera mode, a bunch of pink lines come up on the screen and the phone then freezes. when I exit the camera and go back, the lens then will not open.

I already have one replacement phone, because my original shattered after a minor drop. Looks like I need a second replacement.

Iphone 4 Camera Lens Won't Open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.