Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 Not working with Car Stereo

Lemme start by saying I'm 100% sure that these issues R
are from 4.0 and the iPod app. And not just iPhone 4

When using my iPhone via the USB cable to my car stereo " pioneer " it doesn't function correctly. It reads incompatible.
But if I delete the iPod app from the multitasking app I can get it to jump start.

Please

dell, iOS 4

Posted on Jun 25, 2010 11:55 AM

15 replies

Jul 25, 2018 1:07 AM in response to biggjerry

Jerry,

I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue. My head unit is a Pioneer DEH-7200HD. I agree that this is most definitely due to iOS 4 and not phone hardware. I haven't had any incompatible error messages but the playback is usually paused and the only way to get it to play is a hard reset (hold home and power for about 30 seconds). I wish I could downgrade my iPhone to 3.1.3.

Hang in there brother...

Jul 25, 2018 1:07 AM in response to Ivan Robertovich

I'm pretty confident in saying it has something to do with the multitasking. After hard resetting the phone, my head unit plays audio through the iPhone without issue. As soon as I load up any app which takes control of sound (Safari/Youtube/games) I start having problems and have to hard reset again.

I also have an issue where if I'm playing a streaming MP3 through Safari, and switch to Messaging, the playback stops. It stops even if I double-tap home and select Messaging through the task manager. The 3GS with OS 3.1.3 would continue playing Safari while I used Messaging or Maps. It seems like the iOS 4 multitasking is actually worse (less usable) than OS 3.

Jun 25, 2010 4:09 PM in response to Community User

It's an even cloudier picture from my experience. My older jvc in my truck doesn't care when something is plugged in on the 30 pin connector, it just pipes whatever sound comes from the device to the amp and plays it well and charges the device.

The newer jvc in the car is the one with troubles. It has a USB port on the front into which you can plug a sync cable attached to the iPhone or iPod (but oddly not the iPad). Upon detecting a device, it spins its electronic self until the iPod app starts churning music. Then I have to stop the iPod app and start wunderradio.

I listen to a show over wunderradio in the evening commute. Today, plugged in the iPhone and even though I had wunderradio already playing the head unit caused the iPod to start. I used the multitasking bar to pause the iPod and wunnderradio kicked right back in thereby saving me the step off restarting wunderradio.

So, at least for mine, the process is one step less with the ios 4.

Now, who knows if it'll work tomorrow, but I think mine might be the care of seating that cable.

Sep 10, 2010 4:02 PM in response to biggjerry

I too have a new issue since my 0S 4.1 update last night. I have a Pioneer AVH P3100 head unit in my car and it worked great yesterday with the iphone attachment till i updated. Now the music cuts off and on every couple seconds and I am about to be done with apple iphone 3G, with the updates I am trying to get back to the operating speed I had with 3.1.3 in hope of fixing all the glitches. It just keeps getting better and better. 😟 Come on apple!!!
Any help with this would make my day.

Oct 1, 2010 1:36 PM in response to barrettabel

Talked to Pioneer as well as Apple several times. Finally sent an email to jobs addy. Got a reply from someone letting me know it is a known issue and is supposed to be fixed in an update sched. for November. Talked to Pioneer and they said it is an apple iOS 4 problem and although they are taking info incase they do release an updated firmware they are sayong it is not there problem and they are not going to fix. So I guess my iPhone will not play music untill november. GREAT 😟

Oct 14, 2010 1:19 PM in response to biggjerry

Adding to the data:

* Dash unit a JVC KW-NT1

* iPhone 3 and 3G worked fine with music streaming up until iOS 4.x

* iOS 4.x caused the digitized music stream between the iPhone and dash unit to 'stutter' after a while (i.e., you get in the car, everything works OK, but after a variable amount of time/bytes, the digital stream would unsync and sound like audio drop-outs)

* Unplugging the cable (iPhone to USB adapter) forces a re-sync and the music will play OK for a while, then start stuttering again

* Tried several cables which all produced the saem result, so the cable is not the problem

* Also plugged in an iPod which works OK - no stutters for an extended period

* Also put a thumb drive loaded with MP3 files into the same interface and there were no problems.

Soooo, there is a glitch in 4.x of iOS.

Feb 17, 2011 9:03 AM in response to biggjerry

ok i have a pioneer deck in my car 7200ub i had been having the same problem as everyone else receiving a error 19 when i plug my iphone 4 into the usb port. it would play but u would have no control over anything. A hard reset helped for maybe one song then went back to error 19 or error 16. BUT after doing some intense research(since i purchased the 32gb to hold all my songs for this reason) and testing out new ideas i figured out a way to make ur iphone 4/ios4 compatible with the usb at least for pioneer decks(or at least the 7200 and 4200). Here it is.

Make sure your iphone/ipod/ w.e isnt working is plugged into the usb port even if you are getting the error message.NOTE: it did freeze my ipod when doing this for some reason so i had to do a hard reset, but my itouch also has os3. Now there is a button to the right of the center nob that says shuffle and is some sqwiggly lines and says ipod next to it. hold that down for about 10 seconds until you hear it beep. you will notice the icon on the screen is no longer an ipod its a hand holding an ipod rotating. so what that means is you can control your iphone from your iphone. you can only change songs and fast forward from the deck. you cant search or any of that its done manually from the phone. Now as far as my testing has gone it still works even if the screen says error 19 u can still play threw usb and change songs normally but from ur iphone. After doing this i unplugged the usb then plugged it back in and the error 19 went away and it displayed song title etc.

Hope this helps some people and holds you over until a new firmware comes out enjoy

iPhone 4 Not working with Car Stereo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.