Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone bluetooth not working in my pocket

Well the problem is very easily replicated. I have a motorloa h300 bluetooth ear piece connected to my phone. If I put the phone in my pocket while i'm talking and walking around and on the bluetooth the party I am speaking with says I sound vey garbled ( alien like). When I take it out of my pocket it works fine and people can hear me clear. Any one else with this issue? I use to talk like this all the time with my 3gs

Message was edited by: ibdliquidator

Message was edited by: ibdliquidator

iPhone 4g, iOS 4

Posted on Jun 25, 2010 5:19 PM

45 replies

Jun 27, 2010 4:56 AM in response to Joseph Van Wyk

Also having sound issues with my bluetooth headset. Callers are telling me that they cannot hear me or that it is extremely staticy. The callers also say that my voice drops out from time to time, especially when they try to speak at the same time that I do. It does this with both my Jawbone Prime and Plantronics Voyager Pro (both models I bought from apple.com coincidentally). Anyone else having this problem? Should I look to exchange my phone or is this a software issue that may be fixed with a restore or Apple update?

I have already tried to "reset all", a hard reset, forgetting the bluetooth device and repairing, and turning it off and on with no success. Any other ideas.

Jun 28, 2010 10:11 AM in response to akshayd

I am having the same issue. The bluetooth headset seemed to work better the first couple of days I had the phone but I've had a lot of complaints of sound quality in the past few days. I also hear the headset beep every so often in my ear indicating that it is connecting and disconnecting from the phone. obviously something is not quite right.

I'm not sure why a rubber bumper would help. I've been using a leather case I had for my 3G, fwiw. I've a Skintomi cover and a new leather case on order. I don't want to use a rubber bumper. I need a case with a clip to secure the phone to a purse pocket or my pants pocket.

I just wanted to jump in here to add my two cents so Apple sees the extent of the issue.

Jun 28, 2010 10:41 AM in response to ibdliquidator

My Motorola H385 was perfect with my 3g. Using it with my iP4 was a disaster. I could hear a lot of static and those that were on the other end told me that every other word was either cut off or garbled.

Due to nerve damage in my arms, I'm not supposed to bring my phone up to my ear, so it was urgent that I have a BT. I decided to try an expensive BT. Bought the Sound ID 510 at my local AT&T store ($130 + taxes). It works well with the iP4. Not as much static in my ear and folks can understand what I'm saying.

Good Luck!

Jun 30, 2010 5:02 AM in response to ibdliquidator

I'm having the same problem as others are reporting. I have the Jawbone headset and it has a hard time maintaining a connection when it is in my pocket. I don't think my jeans are causing a short or attenuating the signal like is being proposed for the other signal issues.

I've also gotten the same reports that the people on the other end can't hear me or that I break up. This is when the phone is only a few feet away from me too.

I don't hold the phone in a way to causes drop outs, so I'm not worried about that, but if I can't put the thing in my pocket while on my pocket, what's the point? I didn't have this problem with any other cell phone I've owned.

Jul 2, 2010 6:27 PM in response to ibdliquidator

Yes! I have the same issue too with me Motorokr s9 stereo BT headset and my Jawbone Icon -- This happens both when playing music via the iPod app OR when speaking on the phone. I can't put the phone in my pocket or else this happens -- Audio dropouts with the S9 and dropouts and/or disconnects with the Icon I mean.

I also can't even put it on the desk then walk around my 12x12 office without the dropouts during music playback.

Having to hold the phone close to the headset kinda defeats the purpose. BTW, my 3GS worked almost flawlessly with these devices. I know, early-adopter syndrome but REALLY! I really rely on the BT headsets.

Just got off the phone with Apple Support -- they were ver nice and helpful. They've scheduled me a Genius appt for tomorrow morning so they can run diags on the iPhone. They've also asked me to bring the headsets.

Jul 2, 2010 6:31 PM in response to ibdliquidator

iPhone 4 has Bluetooth headset voice quality issue regardless of the brand of the headset. People including me have tried Jawbone, Plantronics, Sony Ericsson, Blutreck, Blue Ant, Jabra, and many others.

Try to check if you are in a high wifi traffic area with PCs constantly streaming or downloading informations. Check to see if it's being affected by microwave oven, etc.

Jul 2, 2010 6:36 PM in response to Kaplow Technologies

Umm, AFAIK Apple stopped making their BT headset a long time ago. I had one and unfortunately it sucked. In fact it had much the same issues when used with the original iPhone it was designed for. Shame too because it was a neat design and very sleek and simple. Could have used an ear-loop though 😉

From what I can tell and from what I've heard from Apple Support thus far, a new headset probably won't help -- not unless it has an uber-signal-booster or something.

Someone in another thread theorized that Apple may have dropped the bluetooth signal strength in order to extend the iPhone 4's battery life -- if this is true perhaps they were counting on the better antenna to compensate for weaker signal. I have no idea if either is true but it sounds plausible.

Jul 2, 2010 6:41 PM in response to squarejp

OH! I guess THAT'S why Apple Support asked me about my WiFi reception indicator.

You know that certainly is an interesting theory about what might be causing dropouts but I first noticed the problem when I was outside in a parking lot. I do always have WiFi enabled though. Perhaps I'll try disabling WiFi and give the music another go. Not really a good thing if you want to listen to Pandora over your BT stereo headset though :o

iPhone bluetooth not working in my pocket

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.