Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 Proximity Sensor

I am having a small issue with the Proximity sensor (I think that's the one) on my iPhone 4. When I put the phone up to my face the screen does not stay blank. It will come on periodically throughout the call, and then takes input from my cheek, trying to switch to Facetime, or switching into the address book, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have upgraded from the 3G which I had for two years, and never encountered this problem.

12" 1Ghz Powerbook, Core Duo Mini, iPhone 3G, Mac OS X (10.6.3), iPod 2G 10GB, iPod nano 1G 4GB, iPod nano 3G 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB

Posted on Jun 26, 2010 4:18 AM

24 replies

Jun 26, 2010 9:31 AM in response to Eric Myers2

Having similar issues on the 4. Worked well on the 3GS. Now most of the time the screen stays on when held next to my face and it starts pushing buttons randomly when it comes in contact with my face. After the usual dropped calls it will then dial people randomly because I haven't realized the call was dropped and the screen is live. I hope Apple gets its act together soon.

Jun 26, 2010 8:15 PM in response to w7ox

No screen protector on mine and it does seem to be finicky about the screen. I've hung up on a buddy several times with this new "cheek dialing" feature

I don't have any of the reception issues everyone seems to be ranting about, though, so I guess it's a wash for me.

They'll recalibrate the sensor in a new update for sure. I bet it has to do with some wierd preference file being inherited from deep within the bowels of my erstwhile 3GS.

Jun 28, 2010 8:50 AM in response to Eric Myers2

I'm having the identical issue. The proximity sensor seems to fire and disable at will. My iP4 hangs up calls in progress, promptly redials previous calls from my call list or numbers from my address book I haven't dialed in weeks, etc.. I know it's all "cheek dialing" and I'm trying to discover the usable line at the edge of the proximity sensor's range until a patch is forthcoming (?). Frustrating to put it mildly.

Jun 28, 2010 9:40 AM in response to Eric Myers2

I'm also having this problem, i was on the phone to O2 customer service and all of a sudden the rep couldn't hear me, i was like ''hello, hello''...i was thinking it was a signal issue, so i was walking around the house trying to get a signal (or so i thought). The next time this happened i moved the phone away from my face and noticed that i had somehow muted myself. I have done the reset as well as a full restore/setup as a new phone....and thought it was fixed, but once again today i muted myself (whilst talking to an apple rep, who was aware of the problem). Also it seems like there's a delay from when i move the phone away from my ear to the screen re-activating. I just hope Apple can fix this with a software update!

Jun 29, 2010 12:03 PM in response to Eric Myers2

I am having the same problem since day 1. It hangs up or it just starts dialin another number. Usually when I hold it between cheek and ear or am doing something at the same time causing it to move a bit. thought I was having dropped calls but I think its just the sensor. I hope this gets
Fixed fast otherwise I'd rather have my old 3G...

Jun 29, 2010 12:22 PM in response to Eric Myers2

I am not using a case or screen protector and am having the same problem with every call. I can activate the sensor with my finger and it works. I can't find any different way to hold it without putting calls on hold, mute, speaker or hanging up on them. I called apple about it and asked if it was a problem and they suggested restoring the phone. 90 minutes later I look on the net and find that everyone seems to be having the same problem.

Jun 29, 2010 12:39 PM in response to Eric Myers2

I just made my first call on my new iPhone 4, and the proximity sensor problem occurred. So, after reading the forums, I tried something.

I pulled the phone out of its case and made a couple phone calls. I even used my finder to cover the sensor and try to cause it to black-out the screen. No problems. I put it back in the case, and the problems began again.

At least for me, when using the old case I had, the problems were occurring because the case covered the sensor. I slightly modified the case, and now it works fine. Because the sensor was relocated, it seems that the cases that are being used could be causing the problems. I recommend to check you case before calling Apple. Cases that either weren't designed correctly for the new phone, or old cases for the 3GS might (and I stress might) be the cause.

Until I can get a new case for my new iPhone 4, my old modified case works pretty well.

Jun 29, 2010 10:14 PM in response to Carl Peduzzi

Only been using the bumper or nothing and yet mine does it.

For me, I moved the phone back further behind my ear and it seems to be better. It makes me wonder if the sensor is looking down my ear canal instead of seeing my ear. Of course, some would say it was looking right through my head, but either way, the old ones kept the screen blanked.

I had this issue with a white silicone case I bought at the dollar store and put in my old 3GS until I realized the problem and made a hole for the sensor on that phone.

But, on the 4, it's the sensor itself... I had been hoping that it was like the brown spots other people had in as much as the same glue would be over the sensor and causing ye sensor to be less sensitive until it fully cured. That may actually be what's happened because as I think of it, I didn't have any issues today.

iPhone 4 Proximity Sensor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.