Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bose headset no longer works on iPhone 4

My Bose headset, which worked flawlessly on 3GS, no longer works for voice control and voice memos on my new iphone 4. They still work fine as headphones but the microphone no longer is operational. The Apple supplied headset works and if I unplug the Bose set the voice dialing and memos work okay.

But when I use the Bose headset and try to record a voice memo it includes a rhythmic static every half second or so. Voice control is completely non-operational with this headset. I'm thinking something with the noise canceling is screwed up.

Anyone have any possible work arounds?

iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Jun 26, 2010 9:58 AM

24 replies

Jun 28, 2010 7:10 PM in response to Michael Amirault

I'm having the exact same problem. I noticed with voice control that you can barely hear the womans voice, but it does work. You just don't have any feedback and what is happening.

Also, when making phone calls, the other person often says I sound muffled if audible at all.

Lastly, my theory is that the metal around the edge of the iPhone 4 interferes with the metal on the tip of the headphone plug causing some kind of short circuit in the headphones.

Very disappointing indeed.

Jun 29, 2010 9:56 AM in response to theo2112

Hmm, there definitely might be something to your interference idea. If I don't push connector all the way in - leave it out about a sixteenth of an inch - the headset seems to work perfectly again.

I wouldn't doubt it's some sort of issue with the metal plug touching the metal outer band/antenna. The apple buds have plastic in that area of the plug so they wouldn't have that problem.

I could probably fashion a very simpler plastic washer that would keep things isolated and working perfectly.

Jul 2, 2010 8:34 AM in response to Michael Amirault

Ya, this is a bit of a Joke.
I have an $80 pair of skullcandy headphones with Mic that I just recently purchased for my iPhone 3G. When I jumped to the iPhone4 it doesnt work. The apple headset works every time. When I plug in the skull candy, I can hear the person I'm calling but they cant hear me and to add to that, there is this staticy pulsing sound on the line from the headset. If I press and hold the Talk/Music button on my SC headset, the person I'm calling can hear me but they say I sound like I'm in the background. I thought as you did that the mic on the phone was then in use, but when i disconnected the headset, the person I called said it changed and I sounded "Really" far away at that point.

Apple: So how do I fix this? I refuse to carry around two headsets and the apple headset is less than desireable for quality music listening.

Jul 13, 2010 10:57 AM in response to OHBEWISE

I wrote to Skullcandy about this, and they weren't really aware of the problem, but they are now. It's also a problem with a few other brands of headsets. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem, but I would imagine it could be solved by using some sort of adapter. Not the greatest thing, but it should work, now we just have to wait for an adapter to be made, or return the iPhon4.

Jul 20, 2010 9:56 AM in response to Michael Amirault

My AKG K-370 headphones/mic no longer works flawlessly with the iPhone 4.

When I make calls, there's a pulsating static sound every 1.5 seconds. I can vaguely hear the pulsating sound when I have the earphones plugged in

When I am in the car listening to music using the headphones, the volume fluctuates to 50% then back to where I originally had it intermittently. This only happens in the car which is weird. Almost like the static from the car/engine is triggering the fluctuations. It's probably this freaking antenna again.

This is slightly off topic but the proximity sensor is not working properly either. My cheek is able to press all the buttons when I'm on a call. I was cheek dialing on a phone interview! *** Apple! Stop rushing product releases and test test test!

FAIL

Bose headset no longer works on iPhone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.