Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Distorted/muffled speaker sound

So I have a 32gb black iPhone 4. Periodically, my speaker will have rather quiet, or distorted sound output. Randomly after using the speaker for a few minutes, the sound returns to normal. I've seen some people with dead speakers, but not this. Any ideas on how to fix? Should I just go to the genius bar? Anyone else having this problem?

For clarification, this is the bottom speaker, not the earpiece.

iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Jun 27, 2010 8:24 AM

7 replies

Jul 4, 2010 11:13 AM in response to hellomoto3485

I just had the same issue, though I think I've resolved it - for now at least.

Basically, I was playing music aloud on my phone and it suddenly went quiet and distorted. Uh oh. I restarted my phone, no difference. Uh oh. Before I posted here sharing your issue, though, I tried one last thing: I opened up the multitasking bar, and manually closed the iPod app (hold icon until they jiggle, tap -) and everything seems to have returned to normal.. So maybe it's an issue with the saved state, or maybe I got lucky.

Jul 29, 2010 2:29 AM in response to hellomoto3485

This may not be the exact same issue, but I noticed that the iphone 4 was distorting audio playback in the ipod and on pandora causing the headphone magnets to overload. In other words it was not source distortion which is common and acceptable in rock music etc.

This disturbed me enough with the dropped calls to put the iphone 4 back in the box. Im not a hater this is my 4th iphone in 3 years. But I listen to music all day on my iphone and this all I could handle.

I went out and bought a gen 1 on craigslist after living with this issue for 3 weeks. I wish I hadnt sold my 3gs but hey a nice gen 1 looks cool, and the wifi speeds are the same as the iphone 4.

Bye iPhone 4, Ill wait for the next rev.

Distorted/muffled speaker sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.