Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 LCD color

I was comparing my iPhone 4 32gig screen with my mom's and wife's iPhone 4 16gig and I notice that my screen are different from there in terms of color. Mine are a tint darker than theirs. Anyone else notice a difference in their screen? Thanks in advance!

iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Jun 28, 2010 12:51 AM

32 replies

Jun 28, 2010 4:22 AM in response to Solid5nake

Simple. It's the result of the new LCD. It is improved in ways that go beyond resolution. It's an IPS screen with a higher contrast ratio. You should notice richer colors, deeper blacks, and a warmer color temperature (though that is actually independent of the tech).

I think it's a massive improvement. Apple may have assigned it a rather strange name, but the LCD is miles beyond anything else in such a small portable form. It's the same type of screen found in the MacBook Pro and iPad. IPS monitors are 2-3 times more expensive than TN panels. All of those sub-$300 LCDs you see floating around are inferior TN panels with inferior viewing angles, contrast ratio, and color accuracy. Still not accurate on the level of a CRT, mind you, but very good for an LCD.

Jun 28, 2010 7:15 AM in response to Solid5nake

Pretty common with phone LCD screens in my experience. Backlit screens rely on white LEDs to illuminate them through a diffuser panel. Variations in the batches of LEDs, or perhaps variations in the LCD panels are very common.

There may be several OEM manufacturers producing the LCD screens, which would also lead to minute variations in the production. No two iPhones will be identical.

Jun 28, 2010 7:43 PM in response to Solid5nake

Color on Iphone 4 is not accurate. Did a side by side grayscale pattern test at the Apple store, comparing my 3gs to the 4. The grayscale pattern used on both phones came from the same source. I simply Googled "grayscale pattern", on the Iphone 4 in the store and on my own 3gs, chose an image of a grayscale pattern from "images" at top of resulting web page site offerings, selected "full size" option for the pattern chosen, compared the two phones displaying the same image. The Iphone 4 grayscale image revealed a subtle green "push" or cast. The 3gs did not. Next, I did the same test comparing the Ipad in the Apple store and my 3gs, using the same download grayscale pattern. The grayscale pattern on the Ipad was identical to the grayscale pattern on my 3gs -- no green push. I viewd several Itunes video store movie trailers on the Iphone 4 and the green push was evidenton all trailers. All this means is that the color on the new Iphone is not accurate. Not as accurate as the Ipad or the Iphone 3gs. This is probably a deal breaker for me since I use my 3gs for movie watching nearly everyday. All brightness settings were on "full" for all tests.

Jul 6, 2010 1:44 PM in response to Solid5nake

I have noticed the exact same thing you're talking about. I have a 32 GB, and my girlfriend has a 16. Her screen in MUCH better, with better color balance and true whites. Mine appears to have a grayish green fog over it. Every other iPhone 4 I have seen is a 16 GB and the screens look great like my girlfriend's. I want to compare mine to another 32, but what you're describing seems to make me think the 32's have inferior screens.

Jul 10, 2010 9:10 AM in response to ProMod

It is not an issue with the memory size, but more likely Apple using different backlight units in different models.

I have seen two different types of iPhone 4 screens,

- one with a green push but a lower color temperature
- one without a green push but bluish (roughly guessing 7500-8500K whites)

I actually like the green push better because I really can't stand bluish whites. I actually returned a bluish unit because I much preferred the one with the green/yellow push. To each his own I guess.
I would hesitate to call the 3GS "color correct" because it is after all a TN display, and most likely does not have any color correction built in.

But no matter what you use, if you continue staring at it for several days it will start to look normal and everything else will start to look weird. The 3GS will start to look reddish, for example. Eyes adapt very quickly and the brain also reproduces the photographic memories of the home screen that appear a certain way from which we make all our statements of "bluish, reddish, incorrect".

iPhone 4 LCD color

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.