Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Broken screen repair for IPhone 4?

My wife had her iPhone 4 slip out of a pocket this evening and land screen first in the street. The screen pretty much shattered although the phone is still in perfect working order. Any idea how much it costs to get a new one put on by Apple? If we repair though them would it affect the warranty? Fortunately we kept our old 3GS phones so she can use it while being repaired.

Samsung, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Jul 2, 2010 11:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2010 11:50 PM

In the past Apple charged a flat rate of $199. Likely they replace it and use (repaired) to replace another broken phone. So turnaround might be very fast.

I don't know how the warranty is affected: But I suspect that a repair anywhere else would void the warranty.

Others will chime in who've been down this path; I (knock on wood) have not.

Phil
287 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2010 11:50 PM in response to Dr Pop007

In the past Apple charged a flat rate of $199. Likely they replace it and use (repaired) to replace another broken phone. So turnaround might be very fast.

I don't know how the warranty is affected: But I suspect that a repair anywhere else would void the warranty.

Others will chime in who've been down this path; I (knock on wood) have not.

Phil

Jul 3, 2010 7:23 AM in response to daddave2

Same thing happened to me, only with the back side....and I had a bumper on it. Phone landed flat on its back and the back shattered. Apple replaced for free. I have taken off the bumper and gone to a full case. Obviously, the bumper is not enough protection for some accidental drops. At the time, I did a little research and iResQ.com does repairs on iPhones.

Jul 3, 2010 9:24 AM in response to Terry Daniels

Terry Daniels wrote:
Obviously, the bumper is not enough protection for some accidental drops.

Makes sense. My iPh4 arrived on June 23 and I had it in a case the next day (a quickie order from Amazon). I'll upgrade to a nicer case when there is more of a selection, but I believe some sort of case covering all but the screen is essential from a protection standpoint.

Nice of Apple to do those free replacements reported up-thread, but I'd not count on it being a permanent thing.

Phil

Jul 4, 2010 6:50 AM in response to Dr Pop007

Same thing happened to me last night. I stood in disbelief for a good 20 minutes until one of my friends told me it was okay and to breathe.

I'm going to try the Apple store tomorrow and convince them to give me a replacement. I spent 40 on the bumper which shipped in 7 days with a two day shipping option. Unfortunately, yesterday was the day my bumper should've arrived and of course this happens. ugh...

Broken screen repair for IPhone 4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.