Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

need to rotate iPhone 4 video on phone for use in iMovie - Help!

having some orientation issues with some movies I've shot where i've shot it in landscape but it's showing up in portrait. Really want a feature to rotate certain videos on the phone - i can rotate them post-shoot on the computer but then they no longer show up in the camera roll.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

Thanks!

Message was edited by: Joe Spinelli

i7 MBP, iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 3, 2010 7:30 AM

7 replies

Jul 11, 2010 3:43 AM in response to Joe Spinelli

I'm having the same, annoying issues.

I'll hold my phone horizonally (and the menus turn the correct way) and start recording a video, and about a quarter of the time, the video on the PC comes out vertical (which looks ridiculous and very unusual).

Similar thing for photos, but even more often than that. About half the photos I take, when I e-mail them to myself, need rotating (which can't be done in mail applications, you have to save them then rotate them). VERY frustrating.

Didn't happen with photos taken on my 3G. It always knew whether they were vertical or horizontal.

Jul 25, 2010 8:18 AM in response to HERO XXL

I am seeing the same problem, it appears that when you record with the iphone4 and do not hold it perfectly level then it will sometimes, automatically choose the wrong orientation. I have tried importing into Motion & rotating but it clips most of the screen.

I have seen lots of references to this problem on google, the old fix of using QTPro is no longer available with QT10. It seems like a real dumb thing for Apple to not fix

Jul 28, 2010 4:32 PM in response to timabbot

I figured out how to do this in Quicktime 7 Pro -- for those Snow Leopard users who don't already know it, you still have the old Quicktime 7 in your utilities folder.

Once the video is on your computer's hard drive, open it up in Quicktime 7. Got to Window|Show Movie Properties and go to the Visual Settings tab. Once there, you will see four buttons on the bottom for flipping and rotating.

need to rotate iPhone 4 video on phone for use in iMovie - Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.