Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 + bumper = dock connector issue

I just bought an iPhone 4, and like most I had to spend an extra $29.99 on a bumper. However the bumper hasn't help the signal problem much (it helps a little), but it's not a solution. The bigger problem is the opening on the bumper for the Dock connector. It works fine with the included usb cable, but it doesn't work with most 3rd party or even old apple cables. Case in point the apple Dock to VGA adapter, it works fine with no bumper. But, add the bumper and the adapter doesn't lock into the Dock connector, so it doesn't work. The simple fact is the cutout on the bottom of the bumper isn't big enough for any cable but the apple supplied one. Save your money and try this. http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/01/iphone-4-gets-a-1-alternative-to-pricey-bumpe rs/

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 3, 2010 11:44 AM

16 replies

Jul 3, 2010 11:59 AM in response to mini7

It's never worked for 3G, 3GS, nor i4. Any case attached can't connect to a dock as it would have to not have any silicon rubber that blocks the bottom portion. The cases are 3-5 centimeters thick blocking the ability to connect to any dock as the plug would only get half way down.

InCase and Frogz cases can have their bottom portion removed to connect to the dock.

Message was edited by: Joe Z in VA

Jul 3, 2010 12:46 PM in response to mini7

I have the same problem. Were this a 3rd party accessory I wouldn't really have an issue with it. But it came from Apple and I would expect that their own accessory would allow their device to fit their own docking system. I really like the bumper and it already saved my phone from one drop on concrete, but I am now in search of a cover that is open at the bottom so I can use 3rd party cables. Too bad because I like the looks of the bumper.

Jul 3, 2010 3:13 PM in response to mini7

OK, just to clarify, I'm not trying to use a Dock, I'm trying to use the iPad/iPhone 4 VGA cable, or even old iPod usb cables.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC552ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE&mco=MTc0NzE1OTg
The problem is apple designed the opening to only fit there NEW usb cable, the dock end of the VGA adapter is slightly wider than the included usb cable and does not fit in the cutout on the bumper.
Why is this always a problem for apple? In the case of the iPhone 4 you have to take your bumper off to use accessories, and for me that means I can't hold the phone to use the cellular network because, without the bumper I get no signal in my hand. Maybe you should have done some more product testing apple.
Just for the record, this is my third iPhone, I have 6 different iPods, 4 MacPros, and several dozen other apple products dating back to a Lisa, **** (h e l l) I even have a NeXT. I'm not new to apple, but over the years I've come to expect a certain level of quality, service, and stability from apple, sadly the iPhone 4 seems to be more about profit than a solid product.

Message was edited by: mini7

Jul 4, 2010 9:24 AM in response to G3gator

G3gator wrote:
I have not had a happy experience with the Bumpers. In addition to the plug-in problem, mine spontaneously turns on and off if any of the top plastic area is touched. Apparently, it causes pressure on the on/off button.

That doesn't sound normal. When the bumper is not on, will a soft touch turn the screen off as well?

Jul 13, 2010 8:58 AM in response to mini7

I bought the bumper and haven't had any problems with the signal dropping. The opening for the dock connector on the other hand frustrates me to no end. I've found a few possible solutions to that problem, but two will cost you more money, and one involves a knife.

1. Sendstation dock extender: http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/dockextender/
They are currently working on an extender that works with the bumper, so this one is a future fix.

2. Belkin Dock Adapter for the Shuffle. http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=245852#
I haven't tried this one out, but I'm thinking it's possible that it might work as a bridge between old cords/adaptors and the cord that comes with the iPhone 4.

3. Cutting the bumper port hole to make it wider and/or deeper. I haven't tried this one either. Good luck.

I think I'm going to just wait for the Sendstation dock extender. Either way, shame on you Apple for causing this problem.

Message was edited by: clayromer

Message was edited by: clayromer

Aug 17, 2010 5:34 PM in response to mini7

I have an iPhone 4 with the bumper and apple component, composite and VGA cables which doesn't fit the bumper connector size.

Then I'll be free to use any cables I want with my iPhone.

After few research I found that I could buy an universal dock withou the plastic adapter (which made your iPhone+bumper too fat).

Note: using the Universal dock station without the appropriate adater made it more unstable and make the dock connector vulnerable if the iPhone is knocked, but my stereo also have a universal dock adapter and it worked fine without too much precautions.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB125G/C?fnode=MTY1NDAzOQ&mco=MTU0MTI0MjY

Message was edited by: Marc-Andre Larouche

Aug 17, 2010 8:07 PM in response to mini7

Just received the bumper, and Apple did a nice job with the buttons and two toned look; sleek and making a lot of sense. I was disappointed with the inability to connect the power and now see from reading all of your comments that this is not a new concern. I wish I had read them before taking a dremel and xacto blade to the slot,and carved out the spacer... "what was I thinking?"...nice job though but there is still no room to expand the slot even with the steadiest of hands. I've returned to the Case-Mate Leather case for now, and until Otterbox releases the Commuter cases. At least it was free.

iPhone 4 + bumper = dock connector issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.