Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Overheating Message while iPhone 4 is cool

Today my iPhone was in an air conditioned room and unused for at least 30 minutes.

The phone rang and when I tried to answer it I was unable. The display had a large yellow "!" icon and said something about the iPhone being too hot and I'd have to wait to use it.

...yet another way to drop a call.

Anyone else seen this? I am hoping it is a software bug and not a hardware issue.

17"MBP 2.16 GHz with 4 gigs RAM, iOS 4

Posted on Jul 7, 2010 5:33 PM

21 replies

Jul 11, 2010 4:57 AM in response to caffeamericano

My Question's follow-up:

Yesterday, I was near an Apple Store and I went on standby to have them check the phone. They ran a diagnostic and saw that the iPhone 4 log reported a temperature of 165 degrees F. They immediately told me they had to provide me a new phone.

Despite telling them it was a one time occurrence and that I really didn't want the hassle of re-syncing a new phone, they did everything but insist. At one point they said anything above 140 degrees F means immediate replacement due to dangerous operating conditions.

Jul 14, 2010 9:28 PM in response to Hal Feldman

I took my phone back to the store today to have a diagnostic check done because it did the same. Not in use in an air-conditioned house. Got a phone call and it went into overheat warning. The phone was not even warm. The diagnostic test confirmed that something intermal had reached 173 degrees. They couldn't say what it was, everything checked out OK, and they offered to replace the phone. the tech documented the visit and the issue and I left with my original phone in hopes that it was a fluke. If it happens again, they said that I really should exchange my phone.

Jul 18, 2010 12:31 PM in response to FlamingoGirl57

I got my iphone 4 5 days ago. Besides signal issue with antenna (by the way, even with the bumper on, signal issue still presents when holding the phone at lower left when I read or type), seems no other problems. Just about one hour ago, my phone rang so I picked it up, before I could answer the phone, overheating message popped up. Phone ring was cut off and the screen showing messages in different languages. I had to power off and power on to use the phone again.
I was in air conditioned room and the phone was not used for at least one hour and it was cool when the error happened. Seems phone ring will trigger the error. Will report again if it happens again.

Aug 10, 2010 5:24 PM in response to Hal Feldman

I experienced this same issue today. I believe it is a glitch of some sort because many people experience it under the same circumstances, in the middle of the phone ringing while in a cool area. Along with this, it disappeared as soon as i restarted my iphone. I am disappointed that apple has no way for the public to report bugs, so i am writing this here in the hopes that it will be fixed in os 4.1

Aug 20, 2010 9:09 PM in response to Hal Feldman

Same thing happened to me today. iPhone is in my pocket when i get a call. I picked it up to answer and message of overheating showed up. Couldn't do anything. Even sliding to emergency call, iPhone went to black screen and overheating message was there. After a minute or so, it went back to normal. I'm hoping this is a bug related.

Oct 13, 2010 1:48 AM in response to hongw

Same here... Received a call which dropped and got this "iPhone needs to cool down before it can be used" black screen of death.. For a moment, I thought it was a virus! Lol.. Nevertheless the phone was cool and just pulled it right out of my belt holster. I am using the popular "Body Glove" clear back case and had the phone for at least 2 months. OK Apple- once again, step up to the plate and admit the problem and begin the recall.

Oct 26, 2010 6:30 AM in response to Hal Feldman

I just got this message today - the phone was cool, it rang, message about "cannot be used until it's cooled down" and a yellow triangle with excalantion...

I've noticed too that in recent days the iP4 has been experiencing poor performance.

Issue here is that we don't have Apple stored, just resellers, so I've no idea where to take it really...

Overheating Message while iPhone 4 is cool

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.