Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iPhone 4 have a different Model # than those on display at Appl

Why does my iPhone 4 have a different Model # than those on display at Apple?
I noticed while in my local Apple store today that their iPhone 4's have a higher Model # in their Settings --> About screen. When I compare mine vs. theirs, why is my Model # lower?

My biggest fear is that Apple will secretly correct the hardware issues on the iPhone 4 & screw over everyone who bought it early by not doing a recall since it would cost them an arm & a leg.

See screenshots of both units compared:

http://yfrog.com/md88epx

MacBook Pro * 15" Screen / 2.6 GHz w/ 4 GB RAM + iMac 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo w/4GB, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Two x 27" iMacs w 4GB RAM & 3.06 GHz Intel ... + iPhone 4 + iPod Classic 160GB

Posted on Jul 8, 2010 8:57 PM

31 replies

Jul 8, 2010 9:08 PM in response to FireFish

Why does my iPhone 4 have a different Model # than those on display at Apple?

Those on display are of a type currently not available to the public. This includes them being a white iPhone 4; different colors are considered different models.

it could be the difference between the 16 and 32gb phones

It isn't. The 16GB black model is MC318.

(52659)

Jul 9, 2010 6:03 AM in response to J. Christopher Edwards

They are basically batch numbers as posted by several forums other than Apple. One forum in Canada listed 8 batch numbers of iPhones residing in their country with the last code of "C/A". Mine is "LL" for some reason in the USA. I would have thought it would be "US" but there is probably a more detailed thread on this code choice by Apple.

Also review this Apple thread for more:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1674986&tstart=523

Jul 9, 2010 6:09 AM in response to GENE GOLDENSTEIN

Generally recalls are only done if there is a safety concern issued. If the glass shattering left the iPhone as most pictures did not have it done, it would pose a safety hazard to children and a recall issued. Battery fires are common with some devices (Sony I think was the prime recall).

A recall is generally required if called for by the Consumer Product Safety Commission or the company (Apple) and it usually follows by one of the model numbers mentioned.

Jul 9, 2010 6:18 AM in response to FireFish

Seriously, I think you're being a little paranoid here. I have no idea what that number relates to, but whatever it is it is not going to affect the chances of your iPhone 4 being superseded by an improved version, if Apple decide to address the antenna issue later on (for example, by coating the metal frame with an insulating, non-conductive lacquer). If they do, I cannot possibly imagine them recalling the 2 million already sold. They will see it simply as an enhancement - not the correction of a fault.

So, if you're worried that this may happen and you'll be left with a "defective" version, return it now and wait - either for an "improved iPhone 4 or next year's iPhone 5.

Why does my iPhone 4 have a different Model # than those on display at Appl

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.