Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 - No Sound, Bad Hardware?

Received my iPhone 4 via FedEx the day before yesterday. Shortly after initial sync, I noticed the phone was complete mute. Volume was up, mute was off. No sounds from speakers at bottom of phone when phone call was received or when music played. Headphones work.
Rebooted, powered off etc... no joy.

Looks like a hardware issue, if I shook or tapped the phone (on the lower right hand side of screen) the speakers would work briefly then cut off. Looks like a bad wiring job. Was hoping to avoid the apple store but will head there for lunch. Anyone else have this problem?

Various, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPhone 4 32GB Black.

Posted on Jul 9, 2010 5:31 AM

129 replies

Aug 7, 2010 1:57 PM in response to devin4567

I have just bought my iPhone 4 today, set it all up, then noticed no sound.

The earpiece works on calls etc, as do the headphones, but the loud speakers do not work at all.

It does not say headphones on the volume control (though i have had this problem on my iPhone 2G in the past) it seems the audio is always a problem for me! Had the audio flex cable go on my MBA a couple of months ago too!

Have tried a reset on the phone, and a restore through iTunes. Still same problem.

Tried the OP suggestion of tapping/shaking, still nothing.

Has anyone else had this issue and found a fix?

Aug 7, 2010 10:29 PM in response to nip848

Following on from this my previous post, I went to bed and was awoken this morning to the sound of my iPhone ringing with an incoming call. After this, everything worked fine for 30 minutes, and now, once again, no sound at all.

I also spoke to Apple yesterday, and they have already advised me the best I can do is take it back to where I purchased, and ask for an exchange.

Aug 10, 2010 7:12 PM in response to nip848

nip848 wrote:
Following on from this my previous post, I went to bed and was awoken this morning to the sound of my iPhone ringing with an incoming call. After this, everything worked fine for 30 minutes, and now, once again, no sound at all.

I also spoke to Apple yesterday, and they have already advised me the best I can do is take it back to where I purchased, and ask for an exchange.

So they won't fix it? I've got the same exact problem...the sound goes in and out unpredictably - kind of a major problem when it's your only phone. Sometimes when I leave it lying flat for a while the sound will go back. Not sure if it's leaving it flat or just random chance though.

Message was edited by: drunner2

Aug 11, 2010 6:51 AM in response to devin4567

I got the same issue here. I bought the iPhone4 from Smartone in Hong Kong last Saturday, the sim card activated this morning and noticed that there is no sound for all incoming calls, games, music from speaker, yet it works on headphones. Called Smartone and they refused to replace a new phone for me, have to bring to the repair center tomorrow, so annoying.

Dec 15, 2010 1:49 PM in response to devin4567

Same problem here... just got my iPhone 4 today in the mail, spent 1 hr syncing and activating it only to find out it has no audio at all.

No Ring tones (vibrate works)
No iPod audio
No App audio
No Phone call audio (in or out, they can't hear me either)
No Headphone audio

Tried rebooting 3 times
Tried hard reset twice
No difference

Looks like I'm heading to the Apple store... it's pretty shocking that they ship a unit that is completely deaf/mute straight out of the box... where is the QC?

Dec 29, 2010 2:17 PM in response to msmith954

Same here!!! After one week I got my new iPhone4, it suddenly has no sound when you pick up the phone unless you use speaker phone, and no sound from ipod.

It seems there are so many similar cases, what is Apple doing? Sucking up all the money and doesn't care about the quality of its product?!

Hopefully I can exchange to a new one.

This is my first time use Apple product, disappointed!

iPhone 4 - No Sound, Bad Hardware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.