Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CATERR detected! No MCA data found.

My laptop continues to crash randomly. I read a 10 page thread from 2016 here with a similar issue that had no resolve.

Does anyone know how to fix the issue? "CATERR detected! No MCA data found"

Mojave 10.14.2 (18C54)

*** MCA Error Report ***

CPU Machine Check Architecture Error Dump (CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7920HQ CPU @ 3.10GHz, CPUID: 0x906E9)

*** Device Tree ***

*** Truncated to fit within this post ***

EOF

Model: MacBookPro14,3, BootROM 185.0.0.0.0, 4 processors, Intel Core i7, 3.1 GHz, 16 GB, SMC 2.45f0

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 630, Intel HD Graphics 630, Built-In

Graphics: Radeon Pro 560, Radeon Pro 560, PCIe

Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 8 GB, LPDDR3, 2133 MHz, 0x802C, 0x4D5435324C31473332443450472D30393320

Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 8 GB, LPDDR3, 2133 MHz, 0x802C, 0x4D5435324C31473332443450472D30393320

AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x173), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.61.1 AirPortDriverBrcmNIC-1305.2)

Bluetooth: Version 6.0.9f2, 3 services, 27 devices, 1 incoming serial ports

Network Service: Thunderbolt Ethernet Slot 1, Ethernet, en10

Network Service: Wi-Fi, AirPort, en0

PCI Card: pci1b73,1100, USB eXtensible Host Controller, Thunderbolt@196,0,0

PCI Card: ethernet, Ethernet Controller, Thunderbolt@195,0,0

USB Device: USB 3.0 Bus

USB Device: iBridge

USB Device: USB 3.0 Bus

USB Device: 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub

USB Device: USB3.1 Hub

USB Device: My Passport 25E2

USB Device: USB audio CODEC

USB Device: 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub

USB Device: USB2.0 Hub

USB Device: Composite Device

USB Device: Contour Receiver

Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Pro, Apple Inc., 39.2

Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Pro, Apple Inc., 39.2

Thunderbolt Device: TB3DK2DPPD, StarTech.com, 3, 20.1

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 21, 2019 6:12 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 21, 2019 6:37 AM in response to NewportSEO

Are you using an external monitor?

For test purposes, disconnect all USB and Thunderbolt devices and run a while to see if the error recurs.

On the chance it is related to third-party software, we can quickly and within the confines of these forums help you determine if software issues are the problem if you use EtreCheck, available free from the Mac App Store here:

‎EtreCheck on the Mac App Store

It is the development of a long-serving and trusted contributor here expressly for displaying information in these forums to help us help you. It will not reveal any personal or secure information.

Run it, select “Report" from the left-hand pane (scroll down to the bottom of that pane to find) and, when its report displays, click the "Share Report" icon from EtreCheck’s toolbar and then "Copy report” from the resulting dropdown.

Please DO NOT highlight the text in the report before using Etrecheck’s “Copy report” command—that will garble the formatting and make the report slower and harder to evaluate. NOTE: Recent changes to the forum software require you use the "additional text" icon (see example below) to embed the report into a post:

Paste the report into the resulting “Add Text” window.

Also see this excellent user tip on posting text reports like EtreCheck. It is better illustrated than mine.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Mar 18, 2019 1:29 PM in response to tk274

For most folks, contact Apple Support or whoever is providing hardware service.

But if any of y'all want a technical intro to the Intel CATERR machine check? That'll lead you to some far more detailed Intel technical documentation. That documentation might then allow the cause for the machine check to be determined, and for a particular Intel x86 processor.

Feb 21, 2019 7:44 AM in response to NewportSEO

Local rule of thumb: machine checks are hardware or very low-level software or firmware.

They’re best tossed more directly at the folks from Apple.

These errors? I’d expect a low-level bug in macOS is a possibility here, but I’d also wonder about a low-level bug in the display.

Usual suggestions for these cases: try a different path out to the display such as switching from DisplayPort to HDMI, try an entirely different vendor’s monitor or a very different model, try a different cable, check that the monitor firmware is current and upgrade that to current if not—LG TVs have had incompatibilities with Mac HDMI that were fixed by LG firmware upgrades—and then escalate the machine check crashes directly to the folks at Apple Support.

FWIW, if you want to post crashes here, use the highlighted button to open a text input window that's larger...

Feb 21, 2019 6:44 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thank you for the through answer.

Yes I am using an external monitor. The crash only happens about twice a week. So it will be a bit painful to not use my mac on a doc for a week or two in order to fully test. If this is the problem, my next question would be: Now what? Can I not use an external monitor with my Mac any longer?

I will run EtreCheck and post back here.

Feb 21, 2019 6:59 AM in response to NewportSEO

Thanks for the follow-up. I saw another external monitor thread (not about this error) that made me think to ask another question:

When using the external monitor, is your MacBook Pro running on battery or wall power?

Can I not use an external monitor with my Mac any longer?

Too early to make that leap. It doesn't seem to be a universal problem. Let's see if EtreCheck shows any software conflicts. Those can usually be fixed at your desk.

I'll also ask some of my fellow volunteers to look into your thread.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.