Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Texting preferences

Often when I try to send a text message I have to wade through all these choices about Sending–Slam, Gentle etc. I just want to send a text message. I can't find the preference setting to eliminate these annoyances. I have very limited dexterity and it's very very challenging to negotiate my way through all this frass.

iPhone 5s

Posted on May 6, 2019 7:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2019 7:44 PM

Those are iMessage Effects. They appear if you hold down on the Send arrow for too long. Try just tapping quickly on the arrow, and if the effects screen appears, then tap on the X just below the list to close the effect screen. I'm not aware of a setting that turns that on/off, but I was not aware that could be used on the 5S, since it does not have 3D Touch.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2019 7:44 PM in response to gbwestoly

Those are iMessage Effects. They appear if you hold down on the Send arrow for too long. Try just tapping quickly on the arrow, and if the effects screen appears, then tap on the X just below the list to close the effect screen. I'm not aware of a setting that turns that on/off, but I was not aware that could be used on the 5S, since it does not have 3D Touch.

May 9, 2019 4:27 PM in response to gbwestoly

Exploring the Accessibility features may prove helpful for you.

If pressing a button on the screen and quickly releasing it is difficult, have a look in Settings>General>Accessibility>Touch Accommodations.

Toggle these to "on", then try turning on "tap assistance" and see if that helps with the issue.

~Lyssa

May 11, 2019 6:38 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

thank you I am trying this solution. If this does not work I'll try touch accommodations TapAssistance.I'm not sure where I'm going with all this as my hand loss will Soon be completeI'm already working primarily with voice And feet

Apologies for the Ridiculous capitalization and spacing. I'm also fighting withApple dictationWhich works poorly with both Chrome and Safari

But That's another story

Thanks for your help

May 11, 2019 7:44 AM in response to gbwestoly

You're welcome. Sorry there are difficulties with using the iPhone with your disabilities, however it does bring up how difficult it can be to use devices that rely on touch when doing that is difficult. As the ability to do things with dictation and voice control continue to improve, it will help, but that is certainly not in the best condition right now, but is improving across the board. Good luck.

Texting preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.