Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 15inch 2019 - OVERHEATING

Hi,

I had a 2018 MacBook Pro that was defective, so my Apple store replaced it with a top of the line 2019 model - 32GB ram, 1TB hard drive, the works. The day I got the 2019, I noticed it became extremely warm just using safari or even charging it. I immediately went back to the store and demanded a replacement as I was not going to go through what I did with the 2018 again. I have now had the replacement 2019 for exactly 1 day. As I am typing this with only Safari open the fan is whirring and the keyboard is hot to the touch and the bottom of the laptop burnt my legs, AGAIN. I am writing to the community to see if anyone else has had this issue and has any other advice rather than going back to the Apple store to get a 4th computer. Thanks - BTW this is a MacBook Pro 2019 15inch model. 2.4GHv I9 intel core, 32GB Ram, Intel Graphics, 1TB drive, and running OS 10.14.5.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 11:24 AM

leroydouglas has your back on this one.

Users have previously reported that after running their new Mac for a day or so, an SMC Reset often straightened a lot of things out.

Be sure to follow the SMC Reset directions religiously, and use EXACTLY the correct keys on the specified side of the keyboard. The keys with the same labels on the other side are not "wired in" and will not accomplish what you need.

70 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2019 11:24 AM in response to hbothwell

leroydouglas has your back on this one.

Users have previously reported that after running their new Mac for a day or so, an SMC Reset often straightened a lot of things out.

Be sure to follow the SMC Reset directions religiously, and use EXACTLY the correct keys on the specified side of the keyboard. The keys with the same labels on the other side are not "wired in" and will not accomplish what you need.

Jul 20, 2019 9:42 AM in response to hbothwell

hbothwell wrote:

Hi,
I had a 2018 MacBook Pro that was defective, so my Apple store replaced it with a top of the line 2019 model - 32GB ram, 1TB hard drive, the works.

The day I got the 2019, I noticed it became extremely warm just using safari or even charging it. I immediately went back to the store and demanded a replacement as I was not going to go through what I did with the 2018 again. I have now had the replacement 2019 for exactly 1 day.

As I am typing this with only Safari open the fan is whirring and the keyboard is hot to the touch and the bottom of the laptop burnt my legs, AGAIN. I am writing to the community to see if anyone else has had this issue and has any other advice rather than going back to the Apple store to get a 4th computer.

Thanks - BTW this is a MacBook Pro 2019 15inch model. 2.4GHv I9 intel core, 32GB Ram, Intel Graphics, 1TB drive.

Notebook computers keep their coolest on a flat hard surface for adequate airflow.

For thermal management you can Try resetting the SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

To get a good look at your System config. for conflicts or issues, you can run this utility http://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the edit toolbar below.

Nov 23, 2019 1:24 PM in response to hbothwell

Your MacBook Pro will NEVER over-charge.

It is important that you charge it initially for several hours beyond the 100 percent charged indicator, such as overnight. This alone may solve the problems, but you could also reset the System Management Controller SMC when it is fully charged.

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

be certain to follow the POSITIONS of the keys indicated. the keys with the same labels, but on the other side of the Keyboard are not "wired in", and will not do the job. There is no damage done by resetting the SMC multiple times.

Dec 13, 2019 8:19 AM in response to hbothwell

Apple has been looking into some turning off and overheating problems reported on the 2019 13-in MacBook Pro. They have issued new recommendations in the article cited below, that May apply to other MacBooks as well.

They report that setting them straight requires that they be reduced to under 90 percent charged, then connected to power adapter, quit all Apps, and charge for EIGHT HOURS or more.

If your MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) keeps shutting down - Apple Support

Mar 8, 2020 8:07 AM in response to fvh1

Are you using an external display? Most users complaining about excessive heat and noise are using external display.

-------

RE: battery usage

The MacBook Pro is not intended to be used the same way as an iPhone (charged once a day and good to go). It uses the full output of the power adapter and also "borrows" freely from the battery under heavy loads. When AC power is not available, it runs slower.

You need to charge it initially for EIGHT HOURS or more, so that it can measure its own "full point". Recommended practice is to use the MacBook Pro on the power adapter whenever AC power is available, and use it on battery when you must.

For reference, its cousin the 13-in MacBook Pro 2019 has a specific procedure for setting up its battery:

If your MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) keeps shutting down - Apple Support

Aug 21, 2019 8:23 PM in response to hbothwell

I have the same problem. For no reason at all the fan goes crazy and the computer becomes a hot iron you can iron a shirt with, no exaggeration here. This is also my work computer, which makes it ridiculously hard to work with. Not sure what the practicality of a laptop is coming from iMac desktops... Small screens? Burning hot computer that burns your legs? Or is this suppose to increase my productivity - quickly finish my project so I can get this thing off of me lol... all joking a side this is a problem that needs to be fixed. Hopefully Apple will have a solution.

Oct 4, 2019 2:58 AM in response to hbothwell

Hey, I have same issue with my Macbook pro 32 i9, bought my mac in August. Sent it twice to IT suppor Lab, thay claim that evrething is normal ant its cam be 104 degrees. Try to explain them that its very hot and i cannot touch the keyboard... but they calaim that is ok ...

My Mac become extreamaly hot when I use skype or chrom or excell.... This computer is shame

Supprot of appale claim that they did not meet those issue before )))) LOL ... Google full with articles about overheating

#macbookpro #macbookoverheating #applesupporthelpme #appleitrustyou

Oct 25, 2019 8:55 PM in response to afanasiev

I bought mine a few months ago and it is the exact same thing......... the amount of money I paid for this thing is ridiculous to have bugs like this. I have it sitting beside my 10 year old MacBook Air and it does not get hot. If it is uncomfortable for your fingers and to work, then it is TOO hot and I would not let anyone talk me out of what I know is reasonable! I am going to the Apple store tomorrow and I am going to be persistent :-) FYI-it was really hot before I killed the Quicklook Satellite processes in the activity monitor... not sure if anyone else had that issue. It got really hot and the fan was going nuts, but even after I fixed that, it is still too hot and not reasonable.

Oct 27, 2019 8:20 AM in response to hbothwell

This discussion is nominally about the most powerful member of there MacBook family, the high-end 2019 MacBook Pro with more than 16GB of RAM. That specific computer has more compute power than any other MacBook ever sold. If you ask it to do demanding tasks it can do them very quickly.

In the process of doing your bidding at record speeds, it generates more Heat than any other MacBook Pro. You have referred to this as "Overheating". Your MacBook Pro may be getting hot, but it is not running any higher than it was designed to run. There are internal temperature sensors and fail-safe mechanisms inside that will cause it to emergency power-off if it actually overheats.

The problem may be that you don't understand just how hot inside this top-of-the-line computer can get when you ask it to do demanding work. Internal temperatures under heavy loads of up to 80 degrees C (about 176 F) are possible under fairly ordinary circumstances. These temperatures should be dissipated before they become a problem for you, as the fans are running and the alumimnum shell works with the fans to dissipate that heat. If the internal temperatures approach 100 C (200 F) your computer will emergency power off.

Oct 27, 2019 8:24 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The fans run in a feedback loop. They run faster when the measured temperatures inside your Mac get higher, so that they can provide more cooling. Racing fans are not the problem, they are the solution. They are working to remove heat buildup.

Apple does not advertise ANY computers to be used adjacent to your body. Their small portable computers are called "Notebook" computers, and they are not intended to be placed directly on your lap. The computer should be placed on a flat, smooth surface for optimum airflow, never on fluffy fabric or clothing. You can buy a very inexpensive "lap desk" -- a bean bag with a hard flat top -- if you wish to use these computers on your lap.

The top plate adjacent to the keyboard is not a palm rest, and if you routinely rest your palms there, you will likely soon be suffering from a repetitive strain injury such as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, from not keeping your wrists in a "neutral" position while typing.

Yes the aluminum enclosure heats up. But the computer does not overheat, and finding that it is hot is not an indication that your computer is defective, only that it is working hard.

Perhaps you should consider a computer that is far less capable, and therefore is capable of generating far less heat while it slowly grinds away at the tasks you give it.

Nov 22, 2019 9:01 PM in response to hbothwell

Hi i have the same problem and i have the same model .

I ask from apple to replace the device with the 16 macbook pro because they had fix the thermal issues. But the apple cant to do this.

I put my money to 4000 euros and i have not doing my work.

I believe the apple care to take only our money and didnt care about our problems with problematic devices that sell us.

i'm very frustrated and shy because i was billed and paying something problematic.

One month new machine and i cant do my work.

Good work APPLE.....🤬🤬🤬🤬

Nov 23, 2019 5:04 PM in response to hbothwell

Search for and download MacsFanControl. It’s free with an option to purchase premium.

IMO this application is a must, especially since MacBooks are notorious for heating up. I keep the fans going at a medium RPM on my MacBook Pro (around 2500). You can’t hear them at all, but with them going while using the computer, it helps the keep the machine cool even under load.

MacBook Pro 15inch 2019 - OVERHEATING

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.