Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable Wi-Fi base station AND router functions of a Time Capsule

I have one of the last gen (7th gen?) 3TB Time Capsules....using it both as a WiFi router and as a Time Machine volume.

Recently I purchased a better WiFi router to replace it. BUT....I would like to still use it as a Time Machine volume.

I have turned off the WiFi on the Time Capsule, but how do I shut off the router functions? I just want to hang it on a port of the new router and have it behave solely as a wired hard drive without interfering with the new router.

.....sT

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 12:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 9:01 AM

You connect the new router to the Time Capsule's WAN port: you only need to enable Bridge Mode if you have anything connected to its output ports - if you don't it doesn't matter: it doesn't affect things backwards, so to speak. If you do have things connected, then Bridge Mode means that the IP numbers handed out by the router are passed straight through the Time Capsule to any connected devices - in effect it becomes a network switch.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2019 9:01 AM in response to SimonTemplar

You connect the new router to the Time Capsule's WAN port: you only need to enable Bridge Mode if you have anything connected to its output ports - if you don't it doesn't matter: it doesn't affect things backwards, so to speak. If you do have things connected, then Bridge Mode means that the IP numbers handed out by the router are passed straight through the Time Capsule to any connected devices - in effect it becomes a network switch.

Aug 15, 2019 12:04 PM in response to SimonTemplar

So far, you have been provide information on how to disable the routing functions of the Time Capsule.

If you are still looking for advice on how to disable the WiFi on the Time Capsule.......

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the picture of the Time Capsule

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the window

Change the setting for Network Mode from "Create a wireless network" to "Off"

Click Update to save the new settings

How to disable Wi-Fi base station AND router functions of a Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.