Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable Shake to Undo

I'm constantly bombarded with messages about "Nothing To Undo". Pretty irritating to have to regularly dismiss these messages. Is there a way to disable this unhelpful "feature"?

Self-Built, Windows Vista

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 10:31 AM

31 replies

Mar 16, 2017 7:59 PM in response to Wouter Kolkman2

Wouter Kolkman2 wrote:

Yes, you can!

Follow instructions http://www.imore.com/how-use-and-customize-shake-undo-iphone-and-ipad

Settings - General - Accessibility - Shake to Undo

Yes, this changed with iOS 9 and was noted in this thread back in 2015. And again in 2016. When the person to whom you're replying posted, however, it was to possible.

Jul 14, 2010 11:02 AM in response to dcompiled

There is no way to disable this feature. I've never seen this in the settings nor does the user manual mention a way to stop this: http://support.apple.com/manuals/#iphone. The only thing you can do is to try not to shake your phone while you are typing. If you put your phone down in mid-text message, make sure to lock it before you put it down. Sorry, no other cure for this one.

Jul 14, 2010 11:11 AM in response to adria007

There's been a handful of requests to disable the shaker. So far everyone states the same reply as the first one on here. Be careful not to shake the phone at all.

I tried searching for it on other places including the iPhone Configuration Utility and there is no available on disabling it unless there's a jailbreaker out there which can't be discussed here.

Aug 9, 2010 1:33 AM in response to dcompiled

More than a year later and a whole point release since this "feature" was introduced in the firmware and there still is no way to disable this darn thing.

Apple knew of the potential for problems this shake feature would introduce and thusly provided an option to disable the shake feature in the iPod app, but stubbornly refuses to provide a simple ON/OFF switch for text messaging.

WHY?

It was a good idea implemented badly. Get over it and let people disable the darn thing already.

Aug 16, 2010 10:11 AM in response to Jawann

All of their new features are just annoying...

Shake to undo is annoying as i have to retype it or push the message
multitasking is pointless because all apps stay open and you cant close it
the antenna... well i think we all know about this
glass on both sides just shatters easily

i don't think the apple engineers live a normal life like all of us.

Aug 17, 2010 7:47 PM in response to NCMARK

Haha. I know. Just had the glass replaced. Antenna is a joke and every time i pick up my phone it says "nothing to undo"

Way to go apple. Youre all scared of Jobs... I kno whe is mean but dont let him bully you any more to the point you go to market with a product so prematue that its an abortion.

Aug 17, 2010 7:55 PM in response to rbohn

rbohn wrote:
Haha. I know. Just had the glass replaced. Antenna is a joke and every time i pick up my phone it says "nothing to undo"

Way to go apple. Youre all scared of Jobs... I kno whe is mean but dont let him bully you any more to the point you go to market with a product so prematue that its an abortion.

If you don't like the phone then return it and get an inferior android phone that has more problems than an apple phone. I know because my wife has an android phone and the thing is a P.O.S.

Disable Shake to Undo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.