Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My on screen keyboard is not showing up

This just started today and has caused me to reboot 6 times.

When I open mail, messages, maps or anything else that required me to type, I have no on screen keyboard. It's just a big blank space.

I reboot and then it is back for a few minutes. Then no keyboard again.

I have not installed 4.0.1 or anything strange.

Anyone have any suggestions?

iPhone4, iOS 4

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 10:10 PM

9 replies

Jul 15, 2010 11:08 PM in response to martinmcintosh

martinmcintosh wrote:
This just started today and has caused me to reboot 6 times.

When I open mail, messages, maps or anything else that required me to type, I have no on screen keyboard. It's just a big blank space.

I reboot and then it is back for a few minutes. Then no keyboard again.

I have not installed 4.0.1 or anything strange.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I've been watching these boards for the iPhone for three years. This is a first.

I'd update to 4.0.1. If it doesn't work then, I'd take it back. It could be some preference not set right. Or it could be some hardware issue (but really, I can't see how that would cause this).

After that, I got nuthin'!

Jul 16, 2010 5:43 AM in response to martinmcintosh

Be sure you are not running any Bluetooth devices if you have a wireless keyboard. BT keyboards remove the onscreen keyboard and you would be required to use one unless you turn the keyboard off or the keyboard is being used by another device.

I've had this issue a few times and realized it was my keyboard blocking the on screen.
----------------
If it still persists, try shutting the iPhone off and turn it back on or run a backup/new iPhone restore.

May 14, 2011 6:23 PM in response to martinmcintosh

Thank you. You just solved the problem with my wifes iPad. Her keyboard was not showing up and of course we went to the Apple store and it worked just fine. Got back home and it stopped working again. I just read your post from 10 months ago and it worked immediately. She had her bluetooth turned on. I did not on my iPad so that is why mine worked just fine.

My on screen keyboard is not showing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.