Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV listed twice / duplicate in Remote app on iPhone

Problem has been raised several times in here but not resolved. It’s where you open the Remote app on your iPhone and at the top of the screen the Choose TV drop down has 2 Apple TV options. One works and one doesn’t.

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 2:30 PM

Fixed by opening Settings app on Apple TV

Go to Remotes and Devices

Go to Remote App and Devices

Then remove all devices you think might be your device that is showing duplicates (for me I had several iPhones)

Now you can repair your device (hold it unlocked near Apple TV with bluetooth on and tap Connect when prompted)

Enter the 4 digit code displayed on TV

Open remote app on your device - Problem fixed.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2019 2:30 PM in response to jjkboswell

Fixed by opening Settings app on Apple TV

Go to Remotes and Devices

Go to Remote App and Devices

Then remove all devices you think might be your device that is showing duplicates (for me I had several iPhones)

Now you can repair your device (hold it unlocked near Apple TV with bluetooth on and tap Connect when prompted)

Enter the 4 digit code displayed on TV

Open remote app on your device - Problem fixed.

Jan 25, 2020 10:22 AM in response to usstatic

Did not fix the issue for me either. For me, the first listing is the real Apple TV. The second one is a ghost—it does not respond to a request to connect. Connect to the first, real Apple TV and both Apple TVs show a check mark! Buggy behavior, but we are living with it. Note that the issue is specific to the Apple TV unit, as far as we can tell.

Jan 25, 2020 10:32 AM in response to johnseo

One more suggestion: restart your iPhone. Our iPhones got funky after working on this issue, so after we figured it out, we would see the passcode flash on the TV screen momentarily, but it’d disappear, so we couldn’t pair our iPhones. Restarting our iPhones fixed the issue. We were able to pair to the first Apple TV listed in the drop down menu. We continue to see that we are connected to two Apple TVs, but the second Apple TV is just a ghost listing and seems to be harmless.

Apple TV listed twice / duplicate in Remote app on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.