Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are my iTunes playlists?

This removal of iTunes has me baffled. How can I see my playlists I had set up on iTunes on my iMac and on my iPod touch?? Clicking in my iPod in the finder brought up only syncing options...it shows no content on my iPod. Help!

iPod Touch (6th Gen)

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 12:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 4:14 AM

I assume you've upgraded a Mac to Catalina. See What happened to iTunes? - Apple Support. Your iTunes library should have migrated into Catalina complete with your playlists. If you were manually managing the device, and not keeping content/playlists in iTunes, you will find that support for manual device management in Catalina is severely reduced. You cannot play back content from a connected device, or edit playlists or metadata. If needs be see Recover your iTunes (Music) library from your iPod or iOS device - Apple Community and pull all of the media into the local library, organise it there, then sync to the device.

tt2

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2020 4:14 AM in response to Matt B.R.

I assume you've upgraded a Mac to Catalina. See What happened to iTunes? - Apple Support. Your iTunes library should have migrated into Catalina complete with your playlists. If you were manually managing the device, and not keeping content/playlists in iTunes, you will find that support for manual device management in Catalina is severely reduced. You cannot play back content from a connected device, or edit playlists or metadata. If needs be see Recover your iTunes (Music) library from your iPod or iOS device - Apple Community and pull all of the media into the local library, organise it there, then sync to the device.

tt2

Jan 13, 2020 12:19 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the info, Turingtest2. What I want to do is transfer songs that I created myself that are on my iPod touch to my iMac iTunes (now "Music"). This is something I was doing all the time in Mojave, and everything worked great...much better than when working with my iPod and my Windows iTunes on my PC. Well, after studying the links you provided as well as browsing through other forum-based inquiries, not to mention quite a bit of monkeying around on my iMac with my iPod connected, I have come to the conclusion that my intended task is indeed impossible. Why Apple would disable such a basic task with their "new, improved" OS is beyond comprehension. So I will revert to Mojave...screw Catalina, and screw Apple's development team!!

Where are my iTunes playlists?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.