Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime: after upgrade to 13.4 cannot communicate with machines running on iOS 9

When I try to FaceTime with a machine than runs iOS 9, it rings saying it’s connecting but never does with line dropping after a while.

Before the upgrade to 13.4 there was absolutely no problem.

Any idea how to fix it?

iPad Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 5:55 AM

Thank you for your reply brenden dv

Now I had the chance to investigate this a bit more on my side.

I used an older machine with iOS 12.4.6 and I was able to FaceTime with no problem with the iOS 9 machine.

Same applied to an iOS 13.3.1 machine FaceTiming with the iOS 9 machine.

Also I tried iOS 13.4 with iOS 12.4.6, it works.

So the FaceTime problem focuses exclusively on the new iOS 13.4 vs iOS 9.

If you work for Apple I would appreciate it if you could raise this issue internally so it can be sorted out maybe with the next upgrade.

Thanks in advance

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2020 5:55 AM in response to brenden dv

Thank you for your reply brenden dv

Now I had the chance to investigate this a bit more on my side.

I used an older machine with iOS 12.4.6 and I was able to FaceTime with no problem with the iOS 9 machine.

Same applied to an iOS 13.3.1 machine FaceTiming with the iOS 9 machine.

Also I tried iOS 13.4 with iOS 12.4.6, it works.

So the FaceTime problem focuses exclusively on the new iOS 13.4 vs iOS 9.

If you work for Apple I would appreciate it if you could raise this issue internally so it can be sorted out maybe with the next upgrade.

Thanks in advance

Mar 30, 2020 3:33 PM in response to leon275y

Hello, leon275y.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

From what I've read is that you're unable to connect via FaceTime to a device using an older iOS version. I'd like to help and share with you an article that will help when you can't make FaceTime calls: If you can't make a FaceTime call on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

I'd suggest this article with both devices involved.

Keep me updated.

Cheers!

Apr 3, 2020 1:26 PM in response to leon275y

Apr 3, 2020 1:24 PM in response to leon275y

URGENT!!!!:

Can APPLE PLEASE make a FIX for FAceTime to work on the OLDER VERSION IPads/iPhones... devices so Parents and Grandparents can stay in touch with their children and family and friends during this PANDEMIC!!!!!

Can anyone else help contact Apple to help fix this issue during this Pandemic so everyone can have access to FaceTime... (no matter the version)! This is a dire time for people to connect!!! Thank you for your help !!!

Mar 31, 2020 5:27 PM in response to leon275y

I opened an official support ticket with Apple about this. This is the response received from the tech:

We

have received reports of this issue and I want to make sure we get

this issue resolved as quickly as possible! We’ve reached a point in our

troubleshooting process that requires escalating a ticket to our

Engineering team for further investigation.

What

we're going to do is set up a call from one of our Senior Advisors

over the phone to gather some information from you and your device.

They'll let you know the next steps from here and provide an estimate

on when we'll hear back from our Engineering team.

I can schedule a call at the most convenient time for you.

May I have your phone number, time zone, and best time to call please?

Apr 1, 2020 3:56 PM in response to shineandcriss

I've been working with Apple support and have sent them debug information to pass along to the developers. In my case, my iPhone 8 was upgraded to 13.4 and now I can no longer to FaceTime Audio or Video calls to relatives running iOS 9.3.5 on their iPads. Prior to me upgrading my device, FaceTime was working correctly.

I suggest to open an official support ticket with Apple so you can get similar diagnostic log files sent to them as well, as this is just a community supported forum.

Apr 3, 2020 1:24 PM in response to leon275y

URGENT!!!!:

Can APPLE PLEASE make a FIX for FAceTime to work on the OLDER VERSION IPads/iPhones... devices so Parents and Grandparents can stay in touch with their children and family and friends during this PANDEMIC!!!!!

Can anyone else help contact Apple to help fix this issue during this Pandemic so everyone can have access to FaceTime... (no matter the version)! This is a dire time for people to connect!!! Thank you for your help !!!

FaceTime: after upgrade to 13.4 cannot communicate with machines running on iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.