Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone "Photos" app show black thumbnails of images in cameraroll (4.0.1)

When opening the Photos app, about half of my images will show as black thumbnails (I have about 400 images on the phone). I can tap the screen and view images, emailing them is fine and so on, but I can not see them in the cameraroll. I believe this is a bug with 4.0.1, and it does not help hard reseting og syncing with iTunes. Any solution to this?

Screenshots of the issue:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matias9/sets/72157624417763409/

Posted on Jul 20, 2010 1:24 AM

25 replies

Jul 20, 2010 4:48 AM in response to mostebo

I had the same problem, the only solution seems to be importing the pictures from your camera roll to your computer, delete them on the phone, and sync them back again using the photo sync function in iTunes. Photos taken after the update are displaying normal as before in 4.0
And we're not alone with this "feature" 😉

Message was edited by: Ingo2711

Aug 1, 2010 6:43 AM in response to stestardi

I first learned this technique when upgrading my iPhone 3G to iOS4:

1) Connect your iPhone to your computer
2) Run iPhone Explorer on your computer (install it if you don't already have it)
3) Backup (copy to a folder on your computer) and then delete the following files:
/DCIM/.MISC/Info.plist
/PhotoData/Photos.sqlite
/PhotoData/PhotosAux.sqlite
4) Unplug your iPhone, launch Camera Roll app and wait as it rebuilds the database.

The thumbnails that were showing as black on my iPhone look perfect now.

Aug 24, 2010 8:12 PM in response to mostebo

I followed Spirographer's instructions and it ended up working perfectly. I should mention that after backing up and deleting those three files using iPhone Explorer, unplugging the phone and then launching the camera roll, it appeared that nothing had changed -- I still had the black thumbnails, and it didn't attempt to rebuild the photo library. But a hard boot seemed to finish the job, and when I again launched the camera roll after that the photo library rebuilt with no more black thumbnails. Thanks Spirographer!

Sep 9, 2010 7:57 AM in response to Lcran

SUCCESS! thanks a bunch - same thing that happened to Lcran happened to me.

i am running iTunes 10 and the screen shots of the iPhone Explorer didn't look like the program i installed but i was able to delete the necessary files and hard reboot and my iPod touch rebuilt the library and now all of my thumbnails are actual thumbnails. THANKS Spriographer!!!

Sep 9, 2010 8:31 AM in response to mostebo

I did not have this happen under iOS 4.0.1, but it came up with iOS update 4.1.

It only blacks out the exiting thumbnails and only in the Camera Roll, not the rest of the pictures in my libraries and albums. New pictures taken with the camera show up properly with the a new thumbnail, but the rest remain black.

Will try the suggested solution.

EDIT: WORKED ON 4.1 UPDATE

iPhone "Photos" app show black thumbnails of images in cameraroll (4.0.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.