Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

catalina 10.15.5 touch bar not working

I upgraded my 13" MacBook Pro to Catalina 10.15.5 and after the update the touch bar stopped working. It is just black and looks as if it doesn't turn on.

The touch bar options don't even appear in the keyboard settings panel:

Please help.

Thank you

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 10:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 11:03 PM

The first thing to try is probably resetting the SMC - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

"Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power, battery, fans, and other features."

It can also fix many problems associated with USB devices, which includes the Touch Bar.

Please let us know if that worked.

Or did not work.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2020 11:03 PM in response to nanaraju

The first thing to try is probably resetting the SMC - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

"Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power, battery, fans, and other features."

It can also fix many problems associated with USB devices, which includes the Touch Bar.

Please let us know if that worked.

Or did not work.

Jul 12, 2020 2:59 PM in response to John Rose6

I have a brand new 13" Macbook Pro that is just a few weeks old. I have kept it in prisctine shape since it arrived. I'm having the same exact problem, and it didn't even happen because of the update! I just opened my computer last night and the touch bar was completely black.

I tried finding touchpad on “Activity Monitor” to quit and relaunch but it doesn’t even exist there. 

I tried to reset NVRAM with the command+option+p+r

I tried to reset SMC 

None of these options work. There is no way I am spending $475 on fixing a brand new computer I just spent a lot of money on. This is my third Macbook Pro since 2007 and I love this product. I moved overseas for work right after purchasing the new computer and now need a replacement. I fully expect Apple, a global company to help me out.

Jul 15, 2020 6:03 PM in response to adir96

I have a new computer $2,200 and the Touch Bar isn't working. I just spent $400 at a computer shop and they couldn't get it to work. They claimed this is a common problems with Apple's Touch Bar... it seems someone would start helping those of us who spent a lot of money only to get a bunch of lemon computers! I had a Mac from 2015 that works better, I was just trying to upgrade. After spending $2,200 and another $400 trying to repair what should not be broken... where does a person turn????

Aug 25, 2020 8:03 AM in response to nanaraju

I have had the same exact issue and as stated by everyone already have done all the steps found including erasing my entire computer and starting over again. Has anyone had any luck besides paying a bunch of money on a hardware repair that is clearly apples problem? There is no option for a TouchBar settings anywhere either. Thank you!

catalina 10.15.5 touch bar not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.