Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

StainGate on MacBook retina displays

Has Apple fixed the anti-glare coating on the MacBook retina display? I need to replace my late-2013 13" MacBook Pro. Apple replaced the display once when the anti-glare coating came off but it has happened again to the replacement display.

I want to get a new 13" MacBook Pro but won't unless Apple has fixed this. OR unless Apple will warranty the display longer than the AppleCare coverage.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 11:35 AM

6 replies

Jun 11, 2020 12:55 PM in response to cyrusfromaz

That problem has been long gone. However, I don't know if the repair program is still current. Apple's extended warranty provides up to three years of coverage for defective components or workmanship. They do not extend the warranty any further. However, there are private firms that to provide additional warranty coverage like they do for automobiles.

Jun 11, 2020 2:28 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy,

I am aware that my old MacBook Pro is no longer eligible for the free repair program. I already used it once and the replacement display now shows the StainGate problem.

That is one reason why I want to buy a NEW MacBook Pro. Thus my question: Has Apple fixed the anti-glare coating on the retina displays of the NEW MacBook Pros?

I do not want to put $2,600 in a new notebook just to have to deal with the coating issue all over again. I have already spec'ed out the MacBook and am ready to order. I just need a definitive answer. You said the problem was "long gone". I asked "when was it fixed?"

Thanks!

Jun 11, 2020 2:52 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy,

I understand that my question may be difficult for anyone outside Apple to answer. I have tried sending emails to Apple and have asked them on "Chat". The fellow on Chat couldn't answer my question so I asked if he could elevate my question to someone who could answer. He said "Yes". That was a month ago and I have heard nothing.

As a last resort, I thought I would ask my question here.

Thanks!

StainGate on MacBook retina displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.