Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPadOS - Files App stuck with SSD/HDD no longer connected

I tried to connect several devices to my iPad via USB-C. Thumb drive worked fine, SSD as well but with a HDD I tested, something went wrong. I disconnected the HDD but now whatever I connect to my iPad is no longer correctly detected.

Instead the files app shows an icon without a name for the formerly connected HDD. That icon cannot removed. If I click on it I get the information:

• Content not available
  • The content of the folder could not be displayed due to an unknown error

I did a soft reset and deleted the files app and reinstalled. But whatever I do, the icon in the sidebar stays and cannot be removed and now new device is detected once connected to the USB-C port.

Any ideas how I could fully rest the files app or get rid of that stuck icon?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi, Cell

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 4:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 4:17 PM

You might try force-closing your Apps - then force-restarting your iPad.

To force-close your Apps, summon the Task Switcher by swiping upwards from the bottom edge towards the centre of the screen - and pause briefly before lifting your finger - or for an iPad with a physical Home Button, click twice. With the Task Switcher open, swipe each open App of the top of your screen.

To force-restart your iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

After restarting your iPad, you should be able to access your external storage devices. However, do not forget that most external storage devices require a source of power - as your iPad alone cannot supply sufficient power to run the majority of external storage devices. A powered USB Hub is usually required.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2020 4:17 PM in response to Enzo1902

You might try force-closing your Apps - then force-restarting your iPad.

To force-close your Apps, summon the Task Switcher by swiping upwards from the bottom edge towards the centre of the screen - and pause briefly before lifting your finger - or for an iPad with a physical Home Button, click twice. With the Task Switcher open, swipe each open App of the top of your screen.

To force-restart your iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

After restarting your iPad, you should be able to access your external storage devices. However, do not forget that most external storage devices require a source of power - as your iPad alone cannot supply sufficient power to run the majority of external storage devices. A powered USB Hub is usually required.

IPadOS - Files App stuck with SSD/HDD no longer connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.