Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sandisk extreme portable ssd not showing in ios files app on my ipad pro 2020

My iPad pro 2020 (ios 13.6.1) won't show my sandisk ssd drive in the files app.

After I "repair" the drive on my windows computer, the sandisk will show in ios "files" the first time I connect it, but it won't show again after I unplug it, and replug it, unless I repair it again in windows.

The sandisk is formatted in exFAT, and configured for "quick disconnect".

I tried it with an external power source... same problem.

Thanks for any hint...

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 8:13 PM

Thanks for your input on my problem.

I did more testing to try to resolve this issue.

I reformated (exFAT) ... same problem...

After "repairing" the SSD in Windows, it will show instantly in the files app (ios)

When closing the app and unplugging, replugging and restarting, the SSD won't show in the files... But I realised that after waiting approx. 30 seconds, the iPad finally finds the SSD , which appears in the list.

Strange, but I can live with that :-)

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2020 8:13 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for your input on my problem.

I did more testing to try to resolve this issue.

I reformated (exFAT) ... same problem...

After "repairing" the SSD in Windows, it will show instantly in the files app (ios)

When closing the app and unplugging, replugging and restarting, the SSD won't show in the files... But I realised that after waiting approx. 30 seconds, the iPad finally finds the SSD , which appears in the list.

Strange, but I can live with that :-)

Aug 18, 2020 1:20 PM in response to rich2351

Also, I suggest contacting/reaching out to Apple Product support and services.

Tap on the first link below and scroll down some to get to the Apple Product Support section and phone numbers for your location/region.

https://www.apple.com/contact/

OR

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

If you need to, if initial 1st tier Apple customer support is of no help to you, you can calmly ask to have this issue escalated up to more responsible, senior level Apple customer support employees to see if they can come up with other possible advice/solutions to your iPad Pro external drive issue, but I make no guarantees, whatsoever.

If need be, you can have your iPad issues escalated all the way up the chain to Apple engineering level customer phone support.

Even if no acceptable resolution, Apple, AT LEAST, logs all support calls and issues.

Best of Luck to You!

Aug 18, 2020 2:54 PM in response to rich2351

The type of flash storage device that you are using will have significant impact. Simple flash storage devices can be dismounted provided that an active write isn’t occurring. More complex devices are a completely different proposition...

The technical cause is likely to be write-caching - this being a feature of the USB Storage (in this case SSD) device.

For most desktop computers, it is possible to configure an externally attached storage device either for performance (i.e., uses write-caching) or for Quick Removal. This determines how and when information is “written” to non-volatile storage.

When configured for Quick Removal, information from the host computer is written immediately to the storage medium. This has the advantage that you may disconnect the storage device from the host computer, without risk of corrupting the file-system, at any time that data is not being actively transmitted to the storage device. Whilst being a completely valid and useful method of managing data storage, for reasons beyond the immediate scope of this description, this method is less efficient and slower.

Alternatively, when write-caching is enabled, information from the host computer is “cached” in separate (high performance) volatile storage within the storage device - and when sufficient information has been received, a “block” of data is written in single write-cycle. Whilst being faster and more efficient, this method comes with the penalty of the host computer having to notify the storage device of a impending device-disconnection before it is disconnected. This warning ensures that the storage device will flush any pending data from its volatile cache-memory to non-volatile storage - and in so doing sets a “clean switch” on the flash filesystem and signals to the computer that it is safe to disconnect.

A drive configured for write-caching, upon connection to a host computer, is checked for the “clean switch”; if present, the storage device is “mounted” and made available to the operating system. By contrast, if the “clean switch” is not detected (this will occur if the storage device was disconnected prior to being notified of a “dismount”), the filesystem must be assumed to be potentially corrupt; pending data within the write-cache may not have been written to the drive.

So, the relevance of this to iPad is simple. iPad does not fully support devices that are implement write-caching. iPadOS lacks the ability to inform the storage device of imminent disconnection of the storage device from the USB bus. iPad also lacks capability to detect and scan/repair corrupt storage devices.

In summary, now that you [hopefully] understand both the cause and effect, you will now understand that you can only reliably use USB storage devices that can be configured for Quick Disconnect operation - this having major significance to non-corruption of the filesystem and reduced data throughput.

The only “safe” dismount is to fully shut down the iPad before disconnecting

I hope this information is helpful in explaining the likely cause of the issue....

Sandisk extreme portable ssd not showing in ios files app on my ipad pro 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.