Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer files on USB to MacBook Air

I can’t get the files I downloaded to a USB30FD onto my MacBook.. Sorry, I’m a first time Mac owner but have other Apple products. If the USB has to be formatted to the Mac how is that done?

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 12:04 PM

5 replies

Dec 8, 2020 12:35 PM in response to AustinZoom2020

Look at these links:

the first link is about how to reformat a usb-stick on your Mac.

The second link can help you to decide which format you want ( do you want to use the device on Mac only or also on a Windows PC e.g.)

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/file-system-formats-available-in-disk-utility-dsku19ed921c/20.0/mac/11.0

Dec 8, 2020 12:41 PM in response to AustinZoom2020

Need a little more info here.

As it stands there's no indication as to what the problem is.

For example, you don't say where the files came from - another Mac? a PC? Some random dude you met on the street?

Then you don't say what the specific trouble is - for example, it isn't clear whether you're asking how to connect the drive (most USB drives use USB-A ports, whereas modern MacBooks have USB-C ports, so you may need an adapter.

Or maybe you have the adapter and the drive is physically connected, but you're not seeing the drive on your computer?

Is there any error or status message that appears? Usually the OS will report if you attach a disk that's unreadable, so knowing that would help, too.

Formatting is probably the least likely issue. Unless it's formatted with some non-standard format, the Mac should be able to read it if it's using any of the common Mac or Windows (or even UNIX) filesystems.

Dec 8, 2020 12:55 PM in response to Camelot

What I did was download a few of my files from a 2015 Dell computer onto the USB stick and then tried to transfer those files onto my Mac. It's showing connected, I see the files and can open them but when I eject the USB the files stay with it and haven't been left in Mac. I don't want to have to keep plugging in the USB when I need the files. I'm sure there is a simple solution but I'm not a geek with these devices. Still trying to learn how to use this MacBook.

Transfer files on USB to MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.