Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hotspot constantly disconnects

Hi guys,

Just switched over to an iPhone 12 after buying a the Macbook Pro 13" M1. Use my phone as a hotspot for the computer, work on it all day, yet while the 1st 30 minutes might be OK, the hotspot keeps disconnecting. Gets to a point where it's happening just about every 5 minutes. Have spoken to Apple Support 3 times now with not much luck. While they've been super nice I've been unable to resolve the issue.

From what I can gather from online it's a bug in their iOS. Resetting the network settings didn't do any good (done it 3 times now). Had an Android for about 9 years and not once experienced this issue so it's not a carrier problem. Before returning the new iPhone does anyone have any suggestions? Kind of get the feeling this is a bug Apple knows about but won't admit to.

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 11:45 AM

Just_Michael Said:

"Hotspot constantly disconnects: [...]Just switched over to an iPhone 12 after buying a the Macbook Pro 13" M1. [...]Before returning the new iPhone does anyone have any suggestions? Kind of get the feeling this is a bug Apple knows about but won't admit to."

-------

Why Risk a Faulty Device?:

Based on what you've entirely posts, with this being a frequent occurrence, I would strongly recommend you return it, or send this in to Apple for device support. You have a one-year, out-of-the-box, limited-warranty. So, most certainly have Apple look into this device.

I. Using Send-In Service:

The only option, as of this post, would be to contact Apple, and have it sent it for service/replacement.

1. Apple: would send you a box
  2. You: would package it and send it to Apple
  3. Apple: would fix it or replace it, if applicable
  4. You: would receive it back from Apple

II. Contacting Apple Support:

A. Phone Support Info:

B. Chat Session Info:

Being that phone calls are taking a moment, perform a chat session with Apple Support.

Setting Up the Cbat Session:

1. Go to: support.apple.com
  2. Scroll Down to "Tell us how we can help"
  3. Select: Get Support
  4. Proceed from there as Necessary

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2021 11:45 AM in response to Just_Michael

Just_Michael Said:

"Hotspot constantly disconnects: [...]Just switched over to an iPhone 12 after buying a the Macbook Pro 13" M1. [...]Before returning the new iPhone does anyone have any suggestions? Kind of get the feeling this is a bug Apple knows about but won't admit to."

-------

Why Risk a Faulty Device?:

Based on what you've entirely posts, with this being a frequent occurrence, I would strongly recommend you return it, or send this in to Apple for device support. You have a one-year, out-of-the-box, limited-warranty. So, most certainly have Apple look into this device.

I. Using Send-In Service:

The only option, as of this post, would be to contact Apple, and have it sent it for service/replacement.

1. Apple: would send you a box
  2. You: would package it and send it to Apple
  3. Apple: would fix it or replace it, if applicable
  4. You: would receive it back from Apple

II. Contacting Apple Support:

A. Phone Support Info:

B. Chat Session Info:

Being that phone calls are taking a moment, perform a chat session with Apple Support.

Setting Up the Cbat Session:

1. Go to: support.apple.com
  2. Scroll Down to "Tell us how we can help"
  3. Select: Get Support
  4. Proceed from there as Necessary

Hotspot constantly disconnects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.