Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad help

Why area my files greyed out on brand new IPad?. Whenever I save a pic, doc or whatever, the IPad iOS gives predetermined options of how to save, copy, save to files, save etc. depending on how it’s feeling that day. Sometimes, it makes it to photos, sometimes it will be available if I open the camera, but not in photos. Sometimes recents will have them, then again sometimes not. Then, If I save to files, it ask to select a sub file if I got that right; downloads, pages etc. After this, If I go into files or numbers, pages etc, the file is sometimes there sometimes not, sometimes grey, sometimes in another folder for another application. There has got to be a more sophisticated way to organize right? So......Is there a step by step tutorial guide with practice scenarios for a amateur apple user to save files correctly? BTW...Everyone dealt with in these rooms is awesome,...had an Apple MBP for a long time before finding this service, the help is greatly appreciated,...any overtones are meant the same spirit as “Click and Clack” The Tappet Brothers from Car Talk...God rest his soul and good morning America Apple users, I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Posted on Mar 25, 2021 6:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2021 8:40 AM

The file browser within Numbers, Pages and Keynote Apps will intentionally only allow access to files created by - or compatible with - the corresponding App. Files that are not compatible with the App are shown as a grey “ghost” icon.

If instead you use the full Files App, you’ll be able to browse and access all files and file types.

When using the file browser of each of the core Apple Apps, you may have missed that they are colour coded. This colour keying is intended to provide a visual cue as to which file browser you are using...

• Pages App: White background with Light Grey sidebar, title text and functional icons in orange 
  • Numbers App: White background with Light Grey sidebar, title text and functional icons in green
  • Keynote App: Black background with Dark Grey sidebar, title text and functional icons are blue
  • Files App: White background with Light Grey sidebar, title text and functional icons in blue

Once this distinction is recognised, it should become immediately obvious which of the core Apps (and associated file browser) is being used.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2021 8:40 AM in response to jester1908

The file browser within Numbers, Pages and Keynote Apps will intentionally only allow access to files created by - or compatible with - the corresponding App. Files that are not compatible with the App are shown as a grey “ghost” icon.

If instead you use the full Files App, you’ll be able to browse and access all files and file types.

When using the file browser of each of the core Apple Apps, you may have missed that they are colour coded. This colour keying is intended to provide a visual cue as to which file browser you are using...

• Pages App: White background with Light Grey sidebar, title text and functional icons in orange 
  • Numbers App: White background with Light Grey sidebar, title text and functional icons in green
  • Keynote App: Black background with Dark Grey sidebar, title text and functional icons are blue
  • Files App: White background with Light Grey sidebar, title text and functional icons in blue

Once this distinction is recognised, it should become immediately obvious which of the core Apps (and associated file browser) is being used.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Ipad help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.