Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod now playing prevents resuming a podcast on iPhone

After the iOS 14.5 update, my iPhone 12 Pro Max shows what is playing on the HomePod in my house, and if I want to resume a Podcast on my iPhone, I can't. In the podcast app, at the bottom, where you would start playing the current episode, it shows what's playing on the HomePod. I have to stop the HomePod (that my kids are listening to), then I can start my podcast on the phone, then restart the HomePod. Is this a wide-spread bug (or "feature") or is it just me?

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 11:14 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Apr 30, 2021 1:34 PM in response to Zachary

Thanks for clarifying that for us.

Since the HomePod isn’t showing under airplay at all, let’s go through some general troubleshooting. To start, go through the steps in this article: If HomePod isn't responding - Apple Support

These are basic troubleshooting steps to help us get an understanding of why this is happening.

Let us know if that gets everything back to normal.

Apr 30, 2021 1:54 PM in response to Zachary

Got it.

Have you checked in the Home app? If not, let’s try that next. You should be able to control the HomePods through there. Check that out here: Set up your HomePod, HomePod mini, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub - Apple Support

If someone else used their device to set up the HomePod, that may explain why it isn’t showing for you.

Let us know if that gets everything back to normal.

Apr 30, 2021 12:08 PM in response to Zachary

Hey there, and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Zachary!

From our understanding, you’re unable to play a podcast if you are currently playing content on your HomePod. We can certainly understand your concern and can help provide some insight.

Are you streaming content from your iPhone to your HomePod? If so, this would explain why this is happening. Try to play the content directly from the HomePod or stream from another device while listening to the Podcast from your iPhone.

Kindest regards!

Apr 30, 2021 12:15 PM in response to Shannon_DN

Thanks for the welcome, but I've been here 17 years. But hey, maybe no-one has welcomed me yet!

I am not streaming to the HomePod from my iPhone or any device; the problem happens when playing music directly from the HomePod (started with a "hey Siri" command). Here's a detailed way I can recreate the problem:

1) Start listening to a podcast on my iPhone

2) Start music playing on the HomePod by un-pausing it (we keep the same playlist going on it most of the time)

3) Go back to my podcast app on iPhone and it tells me what's paying on the HomePod. If I go to the airplay options, there's no option to see what's playing on my iPhone.

I suppose I could get a podcast playing again by tapping one, but this is new behavior that seems like a bug and I want to know if it's a problem everyone with an iPhone and HomePod has or is there something special/wrong with my setup.

Apr 30, 2021 1:39 PM in response to Shannon_DN

You are not understanding the problem. My phone doesn't show up in the AirPlay list on my phone. As in, i cannot select my phone as the device to control and listen to (when something is playing on the HomePod).

I believe this is a bug in iOS 14.5 because it was not a problem before the update. I am wondering if anyone else (with an iPhone and a HomePod) can confirm this potential bug.

HomePod now playing prevents resuming a podcast on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.