Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail - remove HTML styling?

I'm trying to get Mail to work for me, but HTML messages are a major problem.

I get email where people have been ... "creative" with their styling of their messages, all kind of different things ranging from fonts that make the text difficult to read, font sizes that are too small, font colors that make my eyes scream, background colors that are ... just wow (in a negative way).

Is it possible to get Mail to use fonts, font sizes, colors, backgrounds that I find readable? I would be quite happy to use a plain text version of the message but it seems there is no option for doing this in Mail.

The only solution I've found is to use another Mail client.

Mac mini, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 11:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 2:23 AM

jemostrom wrote:

The only solution I've found is to use another Mail client.

I think that is correct as this time. You can ask Apple to add a "plain text only" option to Mail via

http://www.apple.com/feedback

4 replies

Jun 14, 2021 5:16 AM in response to jemostrom

jemostrom wrote:

Is it possible to get Mail to use fonts, font sizes, colors, backgrounds that I find readable? I would be quite happy to use a plain text version of the message but it seems there is no option for doing this in Mail.

E-mail can be extremely complicated internally. Apple actually used to have the option to display the plain text version of a message. You can still see it if you use the “raw message” option to look at it.

Apple is finally opening up Mail to allow 3rd party plug-ins. There are a few plug-ins today, but they are all unsupported hacks that regularly break. This fall, when macOS Monterey is released, you may see more e-mail plug-ins that will provide access to these kinds of Mail customizations for those people that want them.

Mail - remove HTML styling?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.