Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use SanDisk E60/E61 on my Ipad pro 2021?

Can I use SanDisk E60/E61 on my Ipad pro 2021? I asked SanDisk, and they said:

"Please be advised that we only recommend the external SSD works on desktop/laptop. We have not run tests for such mobile devices.

We only guarantee these external SSD can be detected by Windows and macOS computers.

Even if the interface of the SSD and your mobile device are compatible, there might be some problems will cause your iPad cannot detect the SSD properly.

Such as mobile OS compatibility, insufficient power or voltage supply, etc."

Is anyone using SanDisk as their external SSD? Could you let me know

iPhone XR

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 12:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 1:24 AM

Yes, your SSD can be used with iPad - with some caveats...

First, not all SSDs work well, if at all, with iPad. By example, we often see reports here of issues with the Samsung T7 series. You might be well advised to heed Manufacturers advice concerning compatibility. If the SSD appears to work at all, data transfer may be unreliable. Without explicit stated support, if you lose or corrupt data, the ownership of the issue and responsibility for data loss are yours alone.

To be recognised by iPadOS, the attached USB storage device must be formatted to FAT, FAT32, exFAT, APFS or HFS+ with a single data partition. As the iPad has limited power capabilities, dependent upon the Storage Device, an external power source may be required. Note that iPad has no facility to format an external storage device; formatting requires an appropriate computer.

If you have one of the newest iPad Pro models, with a USB-C connector, you may need to utilise a powered USB hub (i.e., it has its own source of power) - connecting both the iPad Pro and the storage device to ports on the hub. There are some USB-C hubs that usefully provide USB-PD pass-through power for both the iPad and connected storage device; there appear to be relatively few USB-C hubs that also provide an additional powered downstream USB-C connection for connection of USB-C Storage devices.

Also beware of SSD write-caching. iPadOS does not have a “safe” or “Quick Removal” option with which to safely dismount a mounted storage volume. The only way to safely disconnect an SSD volume from iPadOS is to fully shut-down the iPad prior to disconnecting the SSD - as this is the only way to ensure that any pending “write” operations are competed before disconnect. Failure to observe this precaution can result in file corruption.

Some additional information can be found here:

Connect external devices or servers with Files on iPhone - Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-use-external-hard-drives-your-iphone-or-ipad

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2021 1:24 AM in response to HahaNoobGuy

Yes, your SSD can be used with iPad - with some caveats...

First, not all SSDs work well, if at all, with iPad. By example, we often see reports here of issues with the Samsung T7 series. You might be well advised to heed Manufacturers advice concerning compatibility. If the SSD appears to work at all, data transfer may be unreliable. Without explicit stated support, if you lose or corrupt data, the ownership of the issue and responsibility for data loss are yours alone.

To be recognised by iPadOS, the attached USB storage device must be formatted to FAT, FAT32, exFAT, APFS or HFS+ with a single data partition. As the iPad has limited power capabilities, dependent upon the Storage Device, an external power source may be required. Note that iPad has no facility to format an external storage device; formatting requires an appropriate computer.

If you have one of the newest iPad Pro models, with a USB-C connector, you may need to utilise a powered USB hub (i.e., it has its own source of power) - connecting both the iPad Pro and the storage device to ports on the hub. There are some USB-C hubs that usefully provide USB-PD pass-through power for both the iPad and connected storage device; there appear to be relatively few USB-C hubs that also provide an additional powered downstream USB-C connection for connection of USB-C Storage devices.

Also beware of SSD write-caching. iPadOS does not have a “safe” or “Quick Removal” option with which to safely dismount a mounted storage volume. The only way to safely disconnect an SSD volume from iPadOS is to fully shut-down the iPad prior to disconnecting the SSD - as this is the only way to ensure that any pending “write” operations are competed before disconnect. Failure to observe this precaution can result in file corruption.

Some additional information can be found here:

Connect external devices or servers with Files on iPhone - Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-use-external-hard-drives-your-iphone-or-ipad

Jun 14, 2021 1:50 AM in response to HahaNoobGuy

I am not suggesting that external SSD Storage is not recommended. I am suggesting that you should be mindful of potential limitations - and possible areas of difficulties.

Ignoring manufacturer-stated compatibility guidance is perhaps unwise - but is entirely your choice.

External USB storage comes in many variations of interface connection and capabilities - be they HDD, SSD or other Flash-based storage such as low-cost Memory Stick Thumb-drives etc. Each have their limitations.

Can I use SanDisk E60/E61 on my Ipad pro 2021?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.