Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a question about buying a Mac

This is going to be my first time buying a Macbook, first time buying anything Mac. I have purchased other Apple products and love them, but this will be my first Mac. My question is this. I will be getting the education discount on a Macbook Pro M1 next month. Does the education version have anything different on it or anything limited on it compared to the full price Macbook? The reason I am asking is that Final Cut Pro, if I buy it by itself without the discount, is 270 dollars. However, if I buy it with the discount it is bundled with 4 other apps and the price is significantly lower. I think it is 185 dollars, for 5 apps. That's a huge savings and you get a total of 5. Is the software any different on the one with the education discount? Thank you for your help.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 7:14 PM

7 replies

Jun 23, 2021 3:06 AM in response to aggressivility

Hi, DyreLogan! I just wanted to say I recently bought a MacBook Pro M1 (with an educational discount) and just like you, it was my first MacBook ever! Very satisfied with my purchase, after almost 20 years of using GNU/Linux, and many years before on Microsoft Windows.

The only difference from the version without the discount is the lack of discount :-P

Jun 23, 2021 4:47 AM in response to aggressivility

Hahaha I know how you feel, mate. I have easily watched over 10 hours of reviews and comments about the MacBook M1 on YouTube. I had a sheet with things I was sure I wanted to do/change/install once I had it and things that maybe I would do. I shouldn't have deleted it so that I could share it with you. Changed so many things I don't even know anymore which is default and which I changed haha

At least the last one I remember: Removing the delay for the caps lock haha

I hope you enjoy your new MacBook :-)

Jun 23, 2021 4:51 AM in response to mribeirodantas

Yeah that is the first thing I do when I get something new. Just like my phone and watch, I turn off everything like location, turn down the screen brightness, delete worthless apps that I'll never use like stocks or other apps. I'm sure I'll spend the better part of a day going through all the settings on the macbook. I want to wait for the 14 or 16 inch that's coming out (I feel like a giant playing with the super tiny 13"!) but I just don't want to wait. I've waited 20 years already lol

Jun 23, 2021 5:03 AM in response to aggressivility

Exactly! For a second or two, I wondered... Should I wait? But my other laptop is about to die and I was really excited about the M1 SoC. No regrets. Something to keep in mind is that in a lot of places the value of a MacBook barely changes through the years, so you can still sell it at a good price rate and buy the most recent model if you really want to (or even give it to Apple as part of the price, though I'm not sure if it's worth it).

I have a question about buying a Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.