Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some podcasts have stopped downloading on my ipod touch - Can we get an answer from Apple?

Some podcasts have stopped downloading on my ipod touch - Can we get an answer from Apple?

Question asked previously with no answer from community.

Posted on Jul 14, 2021 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2021 1:08 PM

As far as I'm aware, iTunes will stop downloading new episodes if you haven't listened to previous ones for a few episodes. If this happens, you should see a message telling you that it's stopped downloading the particular show because you appear to have stopped listening.

Although iTunes performs this function, it's the choice of the Podcaster, not Apple.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2021 1:08 PM in response to sofialeo

As far as I'm aware, iTunes will stop downloading new episodes if you haven't listened to previous ones for a few episodes. If this happens, you should see a message telling you that it's stopped downloading the particular show because you appear to have stopped listening.

Although iTunes performs this function, it's the choice of the Podcaster, not Apple.

Jul 14, 2021 3:29 PM in response to the fiend

iTunes has been deprecated and split up. It never was on my relatively new Ipod Touch and with OS update it is no longer on my macbook pro. So I have the Podcast Apple App. There is a separate Music app, and I use Audible for books. Anyway, I synced my ipod with my mac and I'll see if the updates continue. Also, the app asks me, when I haven't listened to a particular podcast in a while, if I want to resume.

I have quite a few podcasts and they stopped updating on June 28th, 2021. I think maybe after a system update.

Hopefully after the sync the updates will resume automatically.

Jul 15, 2021 5:26 AM in response to sofialeo

sofialeo wrote:

.... the app asks me, when I haven't listened to a particular podcast in a while, if I want to resume. ....

Hopefully after the sync the updates will resume automatically.

As I stated previously, any Podcast may stop updating if you haven't listened to any of their episodes for a while and that decision is down to the Podcast provider, not Apple. You have also noticed that the message gives you the opportunity to resume downloading that particular series and again, this is all down to the individual Podcast series that you're following.

I'm not sure a Sync will restart the downloads, you may have to respond to the message for that specific Podcast and if you stop listening to a series, the message will almost certainly reappear.

As IdrisSeabright has suggested, you could try a Podcatcher app from the store instead. Many of the third-party apps do not have a facility to stop the downloads.

Jul 15, 2021 8:41 AM in response to the fiend

Hello. So, thanks for the posts. After syncing my Apple Podcast App on my iPod touch with the Apple Podcast App on my MacBook Pro, all is well. Podcasts are now updating again.

All of my podcasts, when not listened to, ask me if I want to resume. This stopped happening with ALL podcasts at the same time - didn't get that message anymore. And podcasts I listen to frequently also stopped downloading. So IMHO something was afoot. The Apple Podcast settings are set to automatically download.

The Apple Podcast App is working correctly on my MacBook Pro, (all episodes continued downloading), but incorrectly on the iPod touch. I was no longer getting the message (paraphrasing) "you haven't updated this podcast in a while do you want to resume?" This message is identical regardless of the podcast. IMHO that tells me it is an Apple message. Also, I could see no way to resume downloading. All settings were correct...

Anyway, I called Apple Care and they wanted to re-install the Apple Podcast app. I decided to try the sync first.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.