Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie

I know it is a recurrent issue, but I am completely blocked with an iMovie ready to export to MP4, that fails because of a so called lack of "app space" whereas there is still wel over 200GB empty on my HDD (McBook Air). Is there any solution other than reinstalling the program or other drastic measures ? Why has this issue not been properly addressed by Apple ? The reason for me to buy Apple is that you get better quality ...

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 7:28 AM

Eventually, splitting up the movie in four parts worked. As I said, quite a hustle, but better than nothing. Just in order to give an overview of what I did, I resume the steps followed :

1. I made four copies of the iMovie library with my full footage (all film clips) ; each copy was about 45 GB initially, but then I cropped each of them in order to keep four chapters of the movie
  2. I then exported each of these four chapters into an MP4 (1080p quality) and saved these on my desktop
  3. subsequently, I opened a new iMovie projects in which I imported these four chapters (as 1080p MP4 files)
  4. eventually, I exported one single movie composed of the said four chapters, in the proper order
  5. result : one MP4 file with the full movie (14,5 GB)

Remark : during step 2, I still encountered an issue with an overload of VTDecorderXPCService and had to try one of the chapters once more.

Remark : whereas the CPU was at full throttle in step 2, it was surprisingly quiet in step 4, even if this was the 'heaviest' export in terms of GB.

I will take this up with Apple Support as well. Maybe they have a better solution to keep VTDecorderXPCService under control.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2021 7:28 AM in response to Rich839

Eventually, splitting up the movie in four parts worked. As I said, quite a hustle, but better than nothing. Just in order to give an overview of what I did, I resume the steps followed :

1. I made four copies of the iMovie library with my full footage (all film clips) ; each copy was about 45 GB initially, but then I cropped each of them in order to keep four chapters of the movie
  2. I then exported each of these four chapters into an MP4 (1080p quality) and saved these on my desktop
  3. subsequently, I opened a new iMovie projects in which I imported these four chapters (as 1080p MP4 files)
  4. eventually, I exported one single movie composed of the said four chapters, in the proper order
  5. result : one MP4 file with the full movie (14,5 GB)

Remark : during step 2, I still encountered an issue with an overload of VTDecorderXPCService and had to try one of the chapters once more.

Remark : whereas the CPU was at full throttle in step 2, it was surprisingly quiet in step 4, even if this was the 'heaviest' export in terms of GB.

I will take this up with Apple Support as well. Maybe they have a better solution to keep VTDecorderXPCService under control.

Jul 21, 2021 3:18 PM in response to MichaelVerhaeghe

Try these procedures.

Resetting the System Management Controller

Try resetting the System Management Controller (but no longer available for the new M1 computers):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Resetting the NVRAM or PRAM

Try resetting the NVRAM or PRAM:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Contact Apple Support

If none of the above resolve your issue, contact Apple Support.  The techs there have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here.  To contact apple support click on the Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum’s screen.  Navigate to a place where you can enter your phone number.

-- Rich

Jul 21, 2021 6:21 AM in response to MichaelVerhaeghe

For a start try deleting the preferences.

Hold down the  Cmd and Option keys as you launch  iMovie and a window will appear.

Click “Delete Preferences” and  iMovie will open in the default (as-new) mode with sometimes no projects etc. on the interface. 

If your project doesn’t load automatically you will have to navigate to it and reopen it.  Your project libraries by default are stored in your Movies folder unless you have specified somewhere different.

Jul 21, 2021 11:27 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Thank you Ian, I tried this, but it did not work. Eventually, I also tried to most drastic option : removing the existing iMovie library, removing the program itself (the 'app'), putting back the back-up that I made of nothing else than the movie I want to export, and then trying to turn it into an mp4 with iMovie. Although I have over 750GB left on my hard disk and in spite of 40GB working memory, it did not work out. The export halted, once more, with a message that I did not have enough 'app memory' ... I especially took care of exporting it only in 720p and the total indicated for this movie was around 8GB ... I really do not understand.

Jul 22, 2021 2:14 AM in response to Rich839

Thank you, Rich, I tried it but it does not resolve the problem. In the meantime, I have discovered that iMovie failing to export the movie to MP4 is due to the VTDecoderXPCService, which is in inherent program for exporting the file. This program takes up all the app memory available (I have 40 GB and it goes well beyond this), up to the point that VTDecoder stops, which automatically stops the exporting and gives a 'failure' message. I tested this by stopping VTDecoder manually in the activity window and it did indeed make the export instantly fail.

The movie I had made is about 1h30m long and is composed mainly of very short takes (2 to 4 seconds). Maybe this is the reason why VTDecoder takes up that much RAM-memory, I don't know for sure.

Anyway, I did manage to export the movie in three parts of 30m each, in 1080p quality. I will now try to import these again in iMovie and 'stick' them together in one movie, which I will export again. A hustle, yes, but if it works, this might be the easiest of solutions, I imagine.

All comments and suggestions are, of course, still more than welcome.

Thanks a lot !

imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.