Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder: Option + Command + V doesn't work any more

MBP (15", 2017) running Catalina 10.15.7 here. I've noticed that, since a few days, Option+Command+V, which I use to "cut+paste" as opposed to just "copy+paste", has stopped working.

Procedure:

• select one file in Finder
  • type Command+C
  • in a different folder type Option+Command+V

If I reboot my Mac the functionality, briefly, comes back. But after a little while, with no notice, it vanishes again.

Plain Command+V works just fine but that's not enough.

Has anyone any ideas on how to troubleshoot or resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 1:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2021 6:57 AM

carmeloc wrote:

Hi @leroydouglas, your recommendation is perfect for Textedit but my request is for Finder. Specifically it is about cutting&pasting files.

If it is not working as expected you can  you can submit your Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback or file a bug report through the same link.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2021 6:57 AM in response to carmeloc

carmeloc wrote:

Hi @leroydouglas, your recommendation is perfect for Textedit but my request is for Finder. Specifically it is about cutting&pasting files.

If it is not working as expected you can  you can submit your Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback or file a bug report through the same link.

Jul 30, 2021 6:21 AM in response to carmeloc

carmeloc wrote:

• MBP (15", 2017) running Catalina 10.15.7 here. I've noticed that, since a few days, Option+Command+V, which I use to "cut+paste" as opposed to just "copy+paste", has stopped working.

Procedure:
select one file in Finder
• type Command+C
• in a different folder type Option+Command+V

If I reboot my Mac the functionality, briefly, comes back. But after a little while, with no notice, it vanishes again.
Plain Command+V works just fine but that's not enough.

Has anyone any ideas on how to troubleshoot or resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

shortcuts.: Command X: Cut the selected item and copy it to the Clipboard

Mac keyboard shortcuts - Apple Support

Aug 8, 2021 5:54 AM in response to carmeloc

It works for me.

Does this occur for a different user, e.g., Guest ? 

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-on-your-mac-mtusr001/mac

Does this occur after starting up in Safe Mode

Consider the possibility of a third party software conflict.  EtreCheck can be used to investigate what is installed.  Give it Full Disk Access. You can post the report here. Someone might spot something.

Aug 8, 2021 3:09 AM in response to carmeloc

Update: with Finder in the foreground, going to Edit menu item while pressing Option (⌥) displays an alternative list of commands.

Specifically, "Move Item Here", also identified with the "⌥⌘V" shortcut, fulfils the request. Unluckily, the same functionality doesn't seem to be available on the keyboard any longer. Therefore this is definitely a bug, it used to work, it doesn't work any more.

A report has been sent to Apple, waiting for them to reply.

Aug 12, 2021 2:49 AM in response to CT

Hi @CT, and many thanks for your reply.

My Mac is a leased computer, managed by my organization. By policy, I'm unable to add any other users.

No need to start in safe mode. Upon a reboot the feature briefly comes back but then, for no apparent reason, disappears.

Thanks for your suggestion but I won't install a 3rd party app. My expectation is, if a problem is indeed present, to see an error message in the logs.

At present, I'm unable to see any errors. No idea what's going on.

Finder: Option + Command + V doesn't work any more

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.