Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Checking for malware

I am about to transfer data from an old MacBook Pro to a new one. How can I be sure that I am not transferring virus/malware?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 4:11 PM

5 replies

Sep 16, 2021 4:22 PM in response to readytomoveon

readytomoveon Said:

"Checking for malware: I am about to transfer data from an old MacBook Pro to a new one. How can I be sure that I am not transferring virus/malware?"

-------

Scanning your Mac: 

Malware is the concern here. Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

Sep 16, 2021 5:08 PM in response to readytomoveon

readytomoveon Said:

"Checking for malware: Thank you for this information. I have downloaded and run Malwarebytes and it detected (and quarantined) one threat called 'adware.Mindspark'. With that done, is it now safe to transfer my data? Thanks again for your help!"

-------

Not Yet...

Having removed it, restart your Mac first, then all should be safe. Next, proceed with this migration.

Checking for malware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.