Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlock with Apple Watch not working after updating to Monterey and WatchOS 8.1

Anyone else having an issue with Apple Watch not unlocking Mac after updating to Monterey? On M1 MBP. Have already tried toggling Unlock w/ watch on and off and restarting MBP, confirmed all settings and reset watch.

Was working fine before update. TIA.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 4:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 5:23 AM

I managed to fix this issue without repairing my watch. Steps were:

• Open settings, privacy & security, general and uncheck open with apple watch.
  • Open Keychain Access, under View menu make sure 'show hidden items' is enabled.
  • Search for 'auto unlock' select all the auto unlock entries, right click and delete them.
  • Search for 'autounlock' select all the autounlock entries, right click and delete them (some will instantly reappear).
  • Restarted Mac.
  • Open settings, privacy & security, general - then make sure your apple watch is unlocked and your iphone is unlocked and both near the mac. Then check open with apple watch.

Sorted!

Similar questions

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2021 5:23 AM in response to wforan3

I managed to fix this issue without repairing my watch. Steps were:

• Open Keychain Access, under View menu make sure 'show hidden items' is enabled.
  • Search for 'auto unlock' select all the auto unlock entries, right click and delete them.
  • Search for 'autounlock' select all the autounlock entries, right click and delete them (some will instantly reappear).
  • Restarted Mac.
  • Open settings, privacy & security, general - then make sure your apple watch is unlocked and your iphone is unlocked and both near the mac. Then check open with apple watch.

Sorted!

Feb 12, 2022 6:11 AM in response to steezey

Steezey's fix is what ultimately worked for me. I tried everything else until I found this.

• Restarted Mac.

Jan 19, 2022 4:23 PM in response to wforan3

Tried almost all steps mentioned everywhere I googled out. wasted hours. It didn't solve my problem. Then, a small change made to my screen saver settings, the problem is gone!!!!!

I noticed a light orange triangle sign next to "show screen saver after ?? minutes" (system preference -- desktop & screen saver). The warning tell me the screen saver starts after the monitor is off for saving power. So I went to (system preference -- Battery-- power adapter ) and increase the time "turn display off after" to be shorter than screen saver start time. Then the light orange triangle warning sign is gone.

well, I tried to set up "unlock with Apple Watch...". It works!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 12, 2021 6:16 AM in response to jponcar

Called AppleCare. This worked:

1. Install iOS 15.1 on your iPhone.
  2. In iPhone’s Watch app go to Settings -> General -> Reset.
  3. Re-pair the Apple Watch with your iPhone and install Watch OS 8.1.
  4. Now you can set up “unlock with Apple Watch” on your Mac. It will unlock your computer every time - not just most of the time like it used to.

Mar 8, 2022 3:17 PM in response to wforan3

I tried everything listed in this forum but nothing worked for me until I looked at the FaceTime preferences on the Mac. It looks like SharePlay is enabled by default. I turned this off and the auto unlocking started working for me. However, the way you unlock also matters, press enter on keyboard seems to make the unlocking consistent and move your mouse will not unlock.

Oct 30, 2021 5:42 AM in response to AWRunner

This exactly! Unlock with Apple Watch works once, then never again with macOS Monterey. I have tried everything, all hardware has the latest OS installed, and it still doesn't work properly - unlocks once, then stops working. This is with an M1 MacBook Pro, so it doesn't work with even Apple's own chip! Worked perfectly with macOS Big Sur.

Oct 30, 2021 7:47 AM in response to wforan3

Hello,

Same here. Auto-unlock stopped working after the Monterey upgrade. In a way it's good to see I am not alone :-)

Wifi is enabled on both devices, watch has Bluetooth enabled.

Restarted Watch, rebooted Mac, etc.

When I try to enable the Auto-unlock in the settings I get error message "Your Mac was unable to communicate with your Apple Watch." after several minutes. It worked fine with Big Sur.

Regards.

Jan 5, 2022 5:38 AM in response to wforan3

Unlock with watch worked fine until I upgraded from Big Sur to Monterey 12.1 this weekend.

Neither Steezey's solution of removing the Keychain entries nor re-pairing my Apple watch made a difference in this particular issue, although re-pairing did fix some issues I didn't realize I was experiencing. Going back to Security & Privacy, I do have the option of checking the box, but it hangs at "Turning on..." for several minutes before "Your Mac was unable to communicate with your Apple Watch."

This is why whenever there is a new major OS release I hold off for months. I'm experiencing so many strange bugs with this update and it's driving me crazy.

Jan 21, 2022 6:44 AM in response to peledies

All in all the "Unlock with Apple watch"-feature behaves very erratically - sporadically it does not work anymore and i have to re-enable it in the MacOS preferences - even if the box is still ticked. Sometimes i have to reset the watch - which i consider to be a waste of time - in other cases I need to disable and re-enable it in the MacOS private settings. Last time MacOS could not connect to the watch on several trials - some hours later I could tick the preference tickbox without problem - even without having my phone close to the Mac. Yay! But still frustrating.

Likewise with the iPhone feature that allows the watch to unlock the phone when wearing a face mask - sometimes this stops working without obvious cause and needs to be re-enabled in the phone settings.

Let's hope that Apple will address these annoyances since most people have better things to do than to spend hours on this "feature-fixing". Once it works it should continue to work flawlessly and reliably.

Mar 18, 2022 6:25 AM in response to Claudius2k

Mine works now but is a bit quirky even after the fix above. Auto Unlock won’t work if the wake action is a mouse/trackpad movement, but it will if it is awakened by a keyboard keypress. However, it will often want a password on the first attempt. I hit escape to cancel the password request, and then I hit a random key on the keyboard and Auto Unlock works.

Unlock with Apple Watch not working after updating to Monterey and WatchOS 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.