Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Poor quality of IPhone 13 Pro Max Photos

How do I stop my new IPhone 13 Pro max that costs over $1k from Post Processing and ruining all my photos? It makes them over bright and over sharp, they look like garbage, it totally changes the skin tones of my subject, and destroys any shadows I want on the subject as well. This did not happen with my IPhone X. Thinking of returning this new phone if it can’t be stopped. Just leave my photos alone Apple, I’ll fix them as I see fit. I tried removing lens corrections in camera settings, and view full hdr setting in photos settings, I tried RAW and JPEG formats; nothing works. Maybe an IOS update is needed to stop it, or at least give the option to remove post processing in settings. My gosh.

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 6:10 AM

The problem is when we use the RAW option, the picture size will be around 10-20MB which is totally inefficient! By the way, we need to self edit those pictures again what’s the point really? Why don’t they give us an option to turn on and off the deep fusion or any auto editing processes. It’s totally frustrating and it seems like IOS15.2 they are not doing any changes at all instead introducing something that we never need. We just need an option for us to choose to use or not to use the auto enhancement process. It is that simple. Apple needs to stop being delusional and self patting themselves for anything, the ‘Best’ camera cannot compare to previous phones which are more stable and clear too see.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2021 6:10 AM in response to Branta_uk

The problem is when we use the RAW option, the picture size will be around 10-20MB which is totally inefficient! By the way, we need to self edit those pictures again what’s the point really? Why don’t they give us an option to turn on and off the deep fusion or any auto editing processes. It’s totally frustrating and it seems like IOS15.2 they are not doing any changes at all instead introducing something that we never need. We just need an option for us to choose to use or not to use the auto enhancement process. It is that simple. Apple needs to stop being delusional and self patting themselves for anything, the ‘Best’ camera cannot compare to previous phones which are more stable and clear too see.

Jan 20, 2022 5:24 AM in response to witwib

What is your plan? I think I am going to contact Genius Bar and go direct to store. Also see if I can get on a chat or live chat with Apple.

I was trying to use camera professionally … iPhone photography. But it’s screwing up my photos. Got an exhibit locally in March…..

I can’t stay frustrated. I want it resolved now!!!!

Jan 20, 2022 10:25 AM in response to Branta_uk

Branta_uk wrote:
You should be able to eliminate all post processing by using the RAW option, which delivers exactly what the sensor recorded.

That is not correct regardless of the AR you received. I have an iP13 Pro and the Apple ProRAW setting is not RAW, there is no true RAW on iPhone 13s - Apple ProRAW does process the photos - it processes them less than HEIC but you will not get "exactly what the sensor recorded". A third party app like Halide may deliver true RAW but that is a $50 add on a $1,000+ iPhone. Apple should provide the ability to shoot in true RAW and the ability to turn off HDR and Deep Fusion AI.

Oct 30, 2021 8:09 AM in response to Tapionkenshin

You should be able to eliminate all post processing by using the RAW option, which delivers exactly what the sensor recorded. However, you should be aware this is unlikely to give a satisfactory finished image without offline processing using something like LightRoom on your Mac or PC (not the cut down versions which are available as iOS apps). You have to provide some kind of substitute for the post processing you rejected within the iPhone.

If you are not content with the quality of photos from your new iPhone the first step is contact Apple Support and arrange to have the phone examined, with a specific request that the camera should be checked for defects.

Jan 19, 2022 9:00 PM in response to Tapionkenshin

I'm having the same issues. I recently purchased an iPhone 13 Pro, in large part for the cameras. However, the photo quality is extraordinarily poor. Not a single picture is sharp, with some images looking like watercolor paintings. Colors are garish and cartoonish. Sometimes I can see the initial photo pop up on the screen, and a brief moment later the colors and sharpness alter, as if I selected the magic wand adjustment. I suspect this points to an HDR issue, specifically the inability to turn it off. I personally can't come up with a valid reason why HDR is mandatory, let alone the over-processing that appears to be happening. Frustrated...

Poor quality of IPhone 13 Pro Max Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.