Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store Password cannot be enabled

How do I re-enable my App Store Password in my iPad?

I checked my iPhone and it doesn’t have this issue, I also tried Restarting my iPad, Signing out and Signing back in, and still I cannot re-enable my password for the App Store.

For reference this is what happens when I try to require password for iPad

While this is what happens for the iPhone

Thanks in Advance for Your help.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 7:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 8:01 AM

There is a bug in the Media & Purchases Settings of all versions of iPadOS that have been released since iPadOS 14.2 - now carried over to iPadOS15.x.

You are clearly attempting to modify your App Store Password settings:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Media & Purchases - from the menu select Password Settings

With iPadOS 14.2 or later, the expected settings page appears, but without the selectable items…:

You should be able to select either [When Purchasing] Always Require Password or Require After 15 Minutes.

Similarly, you should be able to toggle [Free Downloads] Require Password either On or Off.

The selectable settings are missing.

When directly comparing with devices and versions not affected by this bug (e.g., an iPhone which shares the identical menu structure), we see what we expect:

I strongly recommend that you submit a bug report via the iPad Product Feedback page. Please ensure that you include the model of iPad and the installed version of iPadOS in the body of the bug report.

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Until this problem is highlighted to Apple Technical - and the problem is resolved, you’ll not be able to easily modify these settings on iPad. However, there is reportedly an inelegant workaround for this issue:

“Go to Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size > Larger Text, then turn on "Larger Accessibility Sizes" and drag the bar all the way to the right. After this, you should be able to view and set these options. Once done, you can go back and set their text size to whatever you need. If that is the case, then simply tapping the option you wish should activate the behavior, even if you cannot see the checkmark at the end of the row.”

I hope this analysis and information prove to be helpful - and ultimately assists with resolution of the problem.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2021 8:01 AM in response to Biboy125

There is a bug in the Media & Purchases Settings of all versions of iPadOS that have been released since iPadOS 14.2 - now carried over to iPadOS15.x.

You are clearly attempting to modify your App Store Password settings:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Media & Purchases - from the menu select Password Settings

With iPadOS 14.2 or later, the expected settings page appears, but without the selectable items…:

You should be able to select either [When Purchasing] Always Require Password or Require After 15 Minutes.

Similarly, you should be able to toggle [Free Downloads] Require Password either On or Off.

The selectable settings are missing.

When directly comparing with devices and versions not affected by this bug (e.g., an iPhone which shares the identical menu structure), we see what we expect:

I strongly recommend that you submit a bug report via the iPad Product Feedback page. Please ensure that you include the model of iPad and the installed version of iPadOS in the body of the bug report.

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Until this problem is highlighted to Apple Technical - and the problem is resolved, you’ll not be able to easily modify these settings on iPad. However, there is reportedly an inelegant workaround for this issue:

“Go to Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size > Larger Text, then turn on "Larger Accessibility Sizes" and drag the bar all the way to the right. After this, you should be able to view and set these options. Once done, you can go back and set their text size to whatever you need. If that is the case, then simply tapping the option you wish should activate the behavior, even if you cannot see the checkmark at the end of the row.”

I hope this analysis and information prove to be helpful - and ultimately assists with resolution of the problem.

App Store Password cannot be enabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.