Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid 2012 MacBook Pro keeps needing reformatted "Incorrect thread count"

I have had my macbook pro since 2016 and have really never had an issue with it. However, the battery recently failed. I bought a new one and installed it and it ran like it used to for about 1-2 weeks maybe. Then it failed to boot. It would not boot at all anymore. It also will randomly shutdown if it is "asleep" even with plenty of charge on the battery. Computer runs "MacOS Mavericks 10.9.5" and is the stock computer. No upgrades.

After much research, I found out how to recover my information with diskutility booting the computer using Command-R. After running the utility's "verify and repair" functions, it stated something along the lines of "Disk can not be repaired. Backup as many files as you can and then reformat your drive." It had a bit more than that, but I don't remember exactly what. The basic meaning though is captured above. Viewing the log of the repair attempt, it states that there are incorrect thread counts.

I learned the process of reformatting the computer and it worked like new! Brand new computer. It worked for about a week and then did the same as before. Wouldn't boot. Ran disk utility and got the same message. So, I backed up my files again and reformatted. Again, a success... for about 3 days. Same message again! You get the idea. It keeps failing every few days.

If someone can please help me, I would really appreciate it. I have looked everywhere online and no one has the same problem except for one thread that is from 2016. It mentions having the incorrect thread count but does not go into anymore detail. It only had one response (which didn't seem to address the issue, but instead gave a variation of the same problem or something), though 80 people said they had the same problem as what that person described. The computer runs fantastically other than this new issue of failing to boot. Thank you in advance.

Last known problem, though I don't know if it matters to the main issue or not, the CD drive is broken.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 2:14 AM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

The hard drive is failing. Contact Apple Support for service options: Get Support. Also, make sure when you take your Mac to Apple for service you also get an official Apple battery installed!

Finally, only go to Apple, an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or send your device to Apple for service (if applicable or available). Do not go to a 3rd party/unauthorized repair center or attempt a repair yourself. This is for the assurance of authorized and professional repairs that use genuine Apple parts. Please refer to this from Apple Support:

Beware of counterfeit parts
Some counterfeit and third party power adapters and batteries may not be designed properly and could result in safety issues. To ensure you receive a genuine Apple battery during a battery replacement, we recommend visiting an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. If you need a replacement adapter to charge your Apple device, we recommend getting an Apple power adapter.
Also non-genuine replacement displays may have compromised visual quality and may fail to work correctly. Apple-certified screen repairs are performed by trusted experts who use genuine Apple parts.

Jack

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2022 2:14 AM in response to Soriac

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

The hard drive is failing. Contact Apple Support for service options: Get Support. Also, make sure when you take your Mac to Apple for service you also get an official Apple battery installed!

Finally, only go to Apple, an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or send your device to Apple for service (if applicable or available). Do not go to a 3rd party/unauthorized repair center or attempt a repair yourself. This is for the assurance of authorized and professional repairs that use genuine Apple parts. Please refer to this from Apple Support:

Beware of counterfeit parts
Some counterfeit and third party power adapters and batteries may not be designed properly and could result in safety issues. To ensure you receive a genuine Apple battery during a battery replacement, we recommend visiting an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. If you need a replacement adapter to charge your Apple device, we recommend getting an Apple power adapter.
Also non-genuine replacement displays may have compromised visual quality and may fail to work correctly. Apple-certified screen repairs are performed by trusted experts who use genuine Apple parts.

Jack

Mid 2012 MacBook Pro keeps needing reformatted "Incorrect thread count"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.