Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad Pro 12.9 inch 5th generation M1 heating up

I have been using my IPad since August 2021, and at first it was all smooth and great. Then school started, and I've noticed that while taking notes the left side of the device would get extremely hot. Like it wasn't even just a bit of warmth from using it for a few hours, it was hot and the battery would drain super quickly. I was so confused as the only app I was using was the default notes app and apple pencil 2nd gen. I contacted Apple Store and all they said was to factory reset and so that is what I did. Just to be safe, I even started using another note taking app called Collanote in case the problem was the app somehow overusing the cpu. For a little while it seemed like the problem was fixed, but now for a few weeks I've noticed heat again on the left side of the device, battery draining way quicker than usual. It's honestly frustrating to not be able to take notes since it's literally the only thing I use this IPad for. I've seen a few people with the same concern and I wonder if Apple can really give us a solution to fix this.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2022 9:12 PM

You see, the first link explains things like "don't leave your device in the car, it might get too hot", "if you use demanding apps, device will be warm and that is normal". The thing is, I know all this. I mean, it is kinda logical. I did specify however that my ipad gets HOT, not just warm, and that all i used were note-taking apps. If i played genshin impact on my ipad for 5 hours I would expect it to be warm, but I don't use anything but note-taking apps and procreate. So thank you for the information, I did learn that if the device heats up too much it will give the user a warning to let it cool for a bit. I guess for now I will keep using my ipad and take notes and have it heat up for no reason.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2022 9:12 PM in response to minto11

You see, the first link explains things like "don't leave your device in the car, it might get too hot", "if you use demanding apps, device will be warm and that is normal". The thing is, I know all this. I mean, it is kinda logical. I did specify however that my ipad gets HOT, not just warm, and that all i used were note-taking apps. If i played genshin impact on my ipad for 5 hours I would expect it to be warm, but I don't use anything but note-taking apps and procreate. So thank you for the information, I did learn that if the device heats up too much it will give the user a warning to let it cool for a bit. I guess for now I will keep using my ipad and take notes and have it heat up for no reason.

Feb 14, 2022 12:59 PM in response to minto11

Hi minto11, thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities.

The following link explains why an iPad might get too hot or too cold and some helpful tips to manage the situation:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201678

In addition, the following link also explains how to maximise battery life and performance:

https://www.apple.com/au/batteries/maximizing-performance/

However, if the above links do not resolve your issue, please contact Apple Support as follows:

IPad Pro 12.9 inch 5th generation M1 heating up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.