Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My external drive does not show up in Time Machine

I use Time Machine with an external NAS with no apparent issues. I have an external drive that I want to back up to Time Machine when it's connected to my laptop. I have no excluded directories in my config, and the "estimated backup size" is the total of my laptop's internal drive plus the external drive. So far so good.

However when I enter Time Machine and go back in time a bit, the external drive (while plugged in) is greyed out. The external drive is not always connected, but I waited for a couple of backups to complete before trying this.

What's the problem?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 11:57 AM

I found the issue. There was a weird problem with the cable that connects the external hard drive. The drive would appear when plugged in, and the overall usage of the disk was reported correctly, but the content (which is a 100GB Photos archive) was reported as having a size of zero.

Swapped the cable, disk worked normally and Time Machine happily backed it up on the NAS. Conclusion: always check layer 1...

Sorry for the noise :)

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2022 11:57 AM in response to Tesserax

I found the issue. There was a weird problem with the cable that connects the external hard drive. The drive would appear when plugged in, and the overall usage of the disk was reported correctly, but the content (which is a 100GB Photos archive) was reported as having a size of zero.

Swapped the cable, disk worked normally and Time Machine happily backed it up on the NAS. Conclusion: always check layer 1...

Sorry for the noise :)

Feb 26, 2022 11:53 AM in response to tribu176

Is this external drive, formatted in APFS, HFS+, or something else? As you know, using an external drive on occasion for Time Machine is not a very efficient method for these backups. That's where your NAS would perform better.

Regardless. when TM runs it creates local snapshots that are stored on your notebook, until the external drive can be re-attached. The reason I asked about this drive's formatting is how TM stores those backups on that drive.

Ref: Time Machine to APFS: Understanding backups - The Eclectic Light Company

Feb 26, 2022 6:12 PM in response to tribu176

Ok, well in theory, TM will automatically back up your device's system drive AND any directly attached external drives. You shouldn't have to designate the external drive for this to happen ... if you attach this external drive to your notebook, and then, start a manual TM backup, does the back up include both devices to your NAS?

My external drive does not show up in Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.