Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS can't repair the disk "HP P500".

Error Subject:

Error Message:

You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can't save changes to files on the disk. Back up the disk and reformat it as soon as you can.

I received this error at login today. I cannot make a backup of the drive and reluctant to do anything to the disk. Any counsel for how to make a copy and reformat the disk?

Mac mini, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 3:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 4:31 AM

ScottTee1 wrote:

Error Subject:

Error Message:
You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can't save changes to files on the disk. Back up the disk and reformat it as soon as you can.

I received this error at login today. I cannot make a backup of the drive and reluctant to do anything to the disk. Any counsel for how to make a copy and reformat the disk?

Q - " You can still open or copy files on the disk "

A - Then copy the files off of the drive to another Safe Location. Then, Wipe the Entire Drive and reformat it to a Format Native to macOS " HFS Journaled / GUID ) for Large Videos files or APFS / GUID for most other purposes.

Followed that by moving the Safe Kept Files back to the HP-500.

Have the exact same drive and immediately at time of Purchased - Reformatted to Native HFS Journaled / GUID and zero issues with the drive.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2022 4:31 AM in response to ScottTee1

ScottTee1 wrote:

Error Subject:

Error Message:

Q - " You can still open or copy files on the disk "

A - Then copy the files off of the drive to another Safe Location. Then, Wipe the Entire Drive and reformat it to a Format Native to macOS " HFS Journaled / GUID ) for Large Videos files or APFS / GUID for most other purposes.

Followed that by moving the Safe Kept Files back to the HP-500.

Have the exact same drive and immediately at time of Purchased - Reformatted to Native HFS Journaled / GUID and zero issues with the drive.

Mar 22, 2022 5:01 AM in response to ScottTee1

Why can't you make a backup of the disk? Is it financially impossible to pay $70 for a hard disk?

If you don't find a medium to backup at least the most important files on the drive, they will get lost.

Once Apple repair fails, you know chances are the drive is on its last legs.

Even if you don't backup all the drive with Carbon Copy Cloner, or can't because it is a Time Machine drive, at very minimum rescue the Documents, Pictures, and Music off that drive. Applications can be restored from the App Store and CDs. Triage the most important information first to at least a flash drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.