Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac (10.15/7) will not connect to wifi

I recently added a Google Nest to my modem. All my devices except my Late 2013 iMac connected seamlessly. I've searched high and low for suggestions to no avail. Could it be that my iMac is incompatible with the new Mesh wifi?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 2:25 AM

Okay, however you did not follow the steps in If your Mac isn't connecting to the internet over Wi-Fi - Apple Support. Lets start there and follow those steps in the order they are presented.

5 replies

Apr 10, 2022 10:55 PM in response to rkaufmann87

OK, you asked for it.

I have a 2-level house which includes 3 laptops, 3 mobile phones a wifi printer, a smart TV... and a 2013 iMac which is my workhorse. My network coped—just—using the Hwawei modem/router, but there were areas of the house with weak signals. So to improve coverage I bought the Google Nest Wifi Mesh and attached it to my modem. Everything linked up fine, powerful signal, I set up new network name and signed everybody in. Fine, except my iMac would not recognise the new network.

Here's what I tried:

—turned Wifi off and on (iMac)

—I re-booted the modem

—I re-booted the Google Mesh router

—I re-started the iMac (several times)

—I removed the new network from my iCloud Keychain and signed in again... and again.

—I added a public DNS to my server list (208.67.222.220)

Can't remember any more. Nothing worked.

THEN I noticed that the previous network was also available—still being kicked out by the Hwawei modem/router—and discovered my iMac would still recognise it. So now I have a house where 9/10 computers are in the Mesh, but my iMac is on the old network.

It works, but the problem is I can't print from the iMac. Aaarrrggg!

Apr 11, 2022 3:22 AM in response to Dr_Wombat

Glad to help and enjoy the new Mesh network. I've got a first gen Google Mesh network, it supports about 45 devices extremely well. Including:

3 Macs

3 iPads

2 iPhones

Sonos sound system (about 5-6 speakers)

Traeger Smoker

Thermostat

HT Receiver

4 Apple TV 4K's

Amazon smart speaker

Scanner

AIO Brother Color Laser

and that's all I can think of at the moment.

iMac (10.15/7) will not connect to wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.