Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to access Sandisk 2Tb Extreme usnig iPhone 13 Pro and Apple Lighting to USB 3 Camera Adapter

Hi all,

• I just got an Apple Lightning to Usb 3 Camera Adapter A1619 and I plugged it to my wife's iPhone 13 Pro, then I connected my SanDisk - Extreme 2TB External USB 3.1 Gen 2 (550Mb/s) to the adapter and then I plugged the adapter to an Apple 87W USB-C Power Adapter but it doesn't recognize the ssd drive. Because the drive is formatted using APFS I though it might be the reason but I formatted several usb flash drives and it works flawlessly. APFS, HFS, FAT, etc... I also changed the power adapter for the one my wife uses to charge the iPhone 13 Pro but it doesn't work with the Sandisk ssd drive. All the flash drives worked with both power adapters. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance.

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 9:03 AM

Hey zuiko3000,

Based on the information you've provided, it sounds like other drives are working for you but the SanDisk drive isn't. As the issue is specific to that drive, we'd suggest contacting SanDisk support to see if they have further information for you on that.

SanDisk Support

Prior to contacting them, take a look at this page about using external drives with an iPhone, as it has there format types and other info:

Connect external storage devices to iPhone - Apple Support

Connect a USB drive or an SD card reader
1. Attach the USB drive or SD card reader to the charging port on your iPhone using a compatible connector or adapter.
You may need the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, or Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader (all sold separately).
Note: A USB drive must have only a single data partition, and it must be formatted as FAT, FAT32, exFAT (FAT64), or APFS. To change the formatting of a USB drive, use a Mac or PC.

2. Do any of the following:
• Insert an SD memory card into a card reader: Don’t force the card into the slot on the reader; it fits only one way.
Note: You can import photos and videos from the memory card directly to the Photos app. See Import photos and videos on iPhone.
• View the contents of the drive or memory card: In a supported app (for example, Files), tap Browse at the bottom of the screen, then tap the name of the device below Locations. If you don’t see Locations, tap Browse again at the bottom of the screen.
• Disconnect the drive or card reader: Remove it from the charging port on iPhone.
Note: The Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter can be powered with a USB power adapter. This allows you to connect USB devices with higher power requirements, such as external hard drives, to iPhone.

Thanks!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2022 9:03 AM in response to zuiko3000

Hey zuiko3000,

Based on the information you've provided, it sounds like other drives are working for you but the SanDisk drive isn't. As the issue is specific to that drive, we'd suggest contacting SanDisk support to see if they have further information for you on that.

SanDisk Support

Prior to contacting them, take a look at this page about using external drives with an iPhone, as it has there format types and other info:

Connect external storage devices to iPhone - Apple Support

Connect a USB drive or an SD card reader
1. Attach the USB drive or SD card reader to the charging port on your iPhone using a compatible connector or adapter.
You may need the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, or Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader (all sold separately).
Note: A USB drive must have only a single data partition, and it must be formatted as FAT, FAT32, exFAT (FAT64), or APFS. To change the formatting of a USB drive, use a Mac or PC.

2. Do any of the following:
• Insert an SD memory card into a card reader: Don’t force the card into the slot on the reader; it fits only one way.
Note: You can import photos and videos from the memory card directly to the Photos app. See Import photos and videos on iPhone.
• View the contents of the drive or memory card: In a supported app (for example, Files), tap Browse at the bottom of the screen, then tap the name of the device below Locations. If you don’t see Locations, tap Browse again at the bottom of the screen.
• Disconnect the drive or card reader: Remove it from the charging port on iPhone.
Note: The Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter can be powered with a USB power adapter. This allows you to connect USB devices with higher power requirements, such as external hard drives, to iPhone.

Thanks!

Trying to access Sandisk 2Tb Extreme usnig iPhone 13 Pro and Apple Lighting to USB 3 Camera Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.