Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What if the erase function stops responding in Disk Utility?

I ran into the issue where the updated macOS did not install properly. The mac in question had High Sierra installed and is compatible to take Monterey. After in stalling the new macOS the computer restarted and an error stating the macOS was not installed properly appeared. I then proceed to troubleshoot using Disk Utility program, however, I get errors when applying “first aid” to the volume(s). I continue to erase the volume to remove what could not be repaired. I clicked on erase and now the program is “stalling” and not progressing. I left the system to work overnight, but the program is the same as it was before I left the night before. Any suggestions?

iMac

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 1:22 PM

It may indicate a failing drive. You can try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

It helps if you provide the exact model of Mac since there are so many different models, some with their own unique issues plus it helps us to better tailor a response to your situation. For example with some Macs I can provide another option for checking the health of a drive since the diagnostics don't detect many drive failures. You can get the exact model information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac" or by entering the system serial number here if the Mac is unable to boot into macOS:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2022 1:22 PM in response to Hamza-Ibrahim

It may indicate a failing drive. You can try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

It helps if you provide the exact model of Mac since there are so many different models, some with their own unique issues plus it helps us to better tailor a response to your situation. For example with some Macs I can provide another option for checking the health of a drive since the diagnostics don't detect many drive failures. You can get the exact model information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac" or by entering the system serial number here if the Mac is unable to boot into macOS:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Sep 16, 2022 5:14 PM in response to Hamza-Ibrahim

Were you able to run the Apple Diagnostics and if so, what were the results?

There are two ways of checking the health of the internal drives. One requires a USB3 SSD or hard drive where you would install macOS onto the USB drive from Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) making sure to properly erase the USB drive and choose it as the destination for the installer. With a full macOS booting USB drive you can boot to it and run DriveDx to check the health of the internal drive(s). Post the complete text report here for each internal drive using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

If you don't have a USB SSD or hard drive to use, then another option is to create a bootable Linux USB stick to check the health of the internal drive(s). This option just requires a USB stick and access to another computer (Mac/Windows/Linux) to download the Linux image and create the bootable USB stick. If you are interested in this option, then let me know.

What if the erase function stops responding in Disk Utility?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.